compound cut pattern question

rdatelle

Hi everyone, I have a question on these patterns. There for air plant holders. I can't seem to figure out how to do these. I've done compound cuts before where you fold the pattern down the middle and put it on two sides of the blank wood. These patterns are in SSW spring issue 66, 2017. It's telling me to print out 4 patterns for each one so I'm guessing they want you to put the pattern on all four sides. Seems like a big plant holder. I did try one where I just folded it in half like I normally do but it only did half the wood. The patterns have the center line where you fold it but that isn't working right. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Ralph.

pattern1.jpg

pattern2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Don't know if this is the same, but I think they glue the pieces together

http://scrollsawer.com/2018/12/31/how-to-make-simple-wooden-air-plant-holders/

Brenda, that's the same one I have. I wasn't sure on what they meant on printing out four patterns for each one. It seems like the block of wood would be pretty big. Not sure if it would even fit under the arm of the scroll saw. Hopefully someone made these already and can tell me a little more about it. Thanks Brenda.

Will they fit is they are cut in halves first then glued together?  I don't know it that makes any since.  I was going to make these when that magazine came out, but never got to it.  So I do not know of what I speak. 

Neat site to look at and get you enthused:

https://www.airplantsupplyco.com/

13 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Will they fit is they are cut in halves first then glued together?  I don't know it that makes any since.  I was going to make these when that magazine came out, but never got to it.  So I do not know of what I speak. 

I'm not sure Paul. I'm confused and that's not to hard to do. Hopefully someone made these already and can lead me on my way. What's confusing me is they have the center line down the middle where you fold it, plus why do they want 4 copies of each pattern.

Ralph

Sue Mey created the patterns, and Rolf cut them.In the beginning of the second paragraph he stated that he had cut 4 separate pieces and glued them together due to the                                                size of the project. He also mentioned that precise cutting and sanding was necessary for this project. Hope this helps better explain things. 

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I stick mine to wood they have been on there for year now.

airplants.jpg

2 hours ago, rdatelle said:

I wasn't sure on what they meant on printing out four patterns for each one

When it said ''Because large pieces of wood won’t fit in a scroll saw, I cut four smaller pieces and glue them together into one large piece"

I took it that he cut 4 separate patterns and then glued them together to make one plant holder..

55 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

When it said ''Because large pieces of wood won’t fit in a scroll saw, I cut four smaller pieces and glue them together into one large piece"

I took it that he cut 4 separate patterns and then glued them together to make one plant holder..

I don't know, Just not making sense to me. Are you still folding the pattern half and how big is the wood your gluing together. I wish someone had a video on how to do it.

2 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Ralph

Sue Mey created the patterns, and Rolf cut them.In the beginning of the second paragraph he stated that he had cut 4 separate pieces and glued them together due to the                                                size of the project. He also mentioned that precise cutting and sanding was necessary for this project. Hope this helps better explain things. 

I don't know Wayne, the old brain just isn't getting it. Why four patterns and how big are these pieces that your gluing together.

13 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

I don't know Wayne, the old brain just isn't getting it. Why four patterns and how big are these pieces that your gluing together.

I believe the end result is about 2 inches . So it was suggested in the article to make then glue up very carefully. So I would suggest to try and picture a puzzle with 4 pieces. You get a complete puzzle when they are assembled.. Or if you have 4 small squares and join them all together to make a larger square . Wished I could explain this a lot better. Would really be great if we lived close so I could show you in person what I trying to explain to you. Hoping this helps some. 

I had this printed out already from their website, but have not attempted them yet. Like Fred, since it said to cut 4, I assumed that each cut out was 1/4th of the finished piece. Therefore, I assumed  you cut 4 pieces, then joined them together to make the final overall piece. The pattern is from Sue Mey, the article online provides the email address for her as suem@storage.co.za . So, if nothing else, you could reach out to her for clarification.

Since  Wayne indicates that the article in the magazine says Rolf cut them for the magazine, (the online article does not indicate that), we can also try to get his attention and see if he can provide some further help by tagging him with @Rolf.

The end result has to be bigger then 2 inches however if you are cutting out 4 pieces from 1 and 7/8” wood pieces even when allowing that there is some waste.

Edited by meflick
Typos (but still probably some I missed.) 😉

She sales a group of 10 patterns on her website which seems to include the ones from this article and some additional ones. They can be found here: https://www.scrollsawartist.com/compound-cut-3d-air-plant-holders.html

if you go there, under the “Description” it states:

“Set of 10 patterns

Use 2" x 2" wood, cut or sanded down to 1 7/8" x 1 7/8" blanks

Completed project from 8" x 3.7" to 4.2 “x 3.7" “

also, note that the Directions, from the article that I downloaded from the website (and I assume from the magazine article you have) under the “Getting Started” subheading first line says “ To make these large 3-D projects” which means they are bigger then normal compound cut projects. Then tells you “Fold the patterns on the centerlines . . .align the folds with the corners of the blanks . . .” So you are correct as to why the center line is there. You are cutting these 4 pieces just like compound cuts you are used to doing,

Then, under the sub-heading “Making the Holders” in the second paragraph, it states “. . . Glue and clamp together two pieces, each representing a quarter of the completed project. . . . Assemble the other half using the same technique. Allow the glue to dry. Then, glue and clamp the two halves together. . . .” 

So, you do need 4 pieces to make each completed piece,

Edited by meflick
Typos (but I still probably missed some. 😉)

10 hours ago, rdatelle said:

I like your idea better Roly. Looks more natural.Where did you get that wood.

Found it in a gift shop was going to cut it up for pens then used it for the plants instead. Any log will do and I hot melt glue gun to stick them.

Edited by Phantom Scroller

In the past I have done several test cuts for Sue Mey.  She has several several designs that you make 1/4 at a time and glue up.  They are a fun challenge and not really much harder then doing any other compound cutting.  I will try to find some pictures.

Edited by NC Scroller
Typo

19 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

In the past I have done several years cuts for Sue Mey.  She has several several designs that you make 1/4 at a time and glue up.  They are a fun challenge and not really much harder then doing any other compound cutting.  I will try to find some pictures.

That would be great. I tried to cut the pattern that has the heart in it but when I cut the curve on top it cuts into part of the good part of the wood on the other side. The same thing with that little diamond. If you cut all the way with that it will cut part of the other side that good. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Let me try to clarify this. The final assembly is of four compound cut pieces.  As with any compound cut project the blade must be absolutely square to the table. You also have to make sure not to push sideways as you cut, or you will loose parts.

Each piece is 1-7/8 x 1-7/8 by whatever length the pattern calls for.  When I did the test cut I actually took a 4x4 and sliced it down the middle to give me the 4 pieces. I used Cedar to make it easier to cut.  After cutting each piece I glued two together, trying to match the inner cut  outs the best I could. Once the glue on the two halves was dry I flattened each half on a piece of sandpaper so that when I glued these together there were no gaps. 

I was careful on this one with how I put the pattern on each piece so that the grain matched up when glued back together. This was the one out of Cedar. You can see that it is four pieces glued back together.

The hardest part of this project is the 1-7/8 thickness of the wood, it pushes the limits of what many scroll saws are capable of. 

20170202_093444.jpg

20170202_093451.jpg

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

The hardest part of this project is the 1-7/8 thickness of the wood, it pushes the limits of what many scroll saws are capable of. 

20170202_093444.jpg

20170202_093451.jpg

Keep in mind that 1 7/8" is just a suggestion.  You can reduce the pattern to use small stock to accommodate your equipment.  Just reduce all 4 sections the same.  With these large compounds wood choice is very critical.  I normally use basswood, poplar or butternut for my bigger compounds. I personally do not like pine.  Though it is softwood the uneven grain can present a real challenge.   

Thanks Rolf and Scott for aiding us in the information needed to understand.  I have 1" 1/2" x 1" 1/2"pieces that I was going to try to cut a couple from to give them a try. However,  Math with fractions is hard enough for some of us 😔 without wood people having decided years ago that a 2"x2" is really not a 2"x2" but is really a 1" 1/2"x1" 1/2", etc. 😞  The problem I am having now is trying to figure out how much to reduce the printed pattern down so it will fit on my 2"x2" that is really a 1" 1/2"x1" 1/2" so I don't have to cut true 2"x2"s and sand them down to 1 7/8"x1" 7/8". 😲 I don't do real good when trying to figure out percentages for reducing or increasing copy sizes either. :oops: Guess now you know why I didn't go into a job that required you to use a lot of math with fractions! ☺️

27 minutes ago, meflick said:

Thanks Rolf and Scott for aiding us in the information needed to understand.  I have 1" 1/2" x 1" 1/2"pieces that I was going to try to cut a couple from to give them a try. However,  Math with fractions is hard enough for some of us 😔 without wood people having decided years ago that a 2"x2" is really not a 2"x2" but is really a 1" 1/2"x1" 1/2", etc. 😞  The problem I am having now is trying to figure out how much to reduce the printed pattern down so it will fit on my 2"x2" that is really a 1" 1/2"x1" 1/2" so I don't have to cut true 2"x2"s and sand them down to 1 7/8"x1" 7/8". 😲 I don't do real good when trying to figure out percentages for reducing or increasing copy sizes either. :oops: Guess now you know why I didn't go into a job that required you to use a lot of math with fractions! ☺️

Just ask Google! LoL!

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

Let me try to clarify this. The final assembly is of four compound cut pieces.  As with any compound cut project the blade must be absolutely square to the table. You also have to make sure not to push sideways as you cut, or you will loose parts.

Each piece is 1-7/8 x 1-7/8 by whatever length the pattern calls for.  When I did the test cut I actually took a 4x4 and sliced it down the middle to give me the 4 pieces. I used Cedar to make it easier to cut.  After cutting each piece I glued two together, trying to match the inner cut  outs the best I could. Once the glue on the two halves was dry I flattened each half on a piece of sandpaper so that when I glued these together there were no gaps. 

I was careful on this one with how I put the pattern on each piece so that the grain matched up when glued back together. This was the one out of Cedar. You can see that it is four pieces glued back together.

20170202_093444.jpg

20170202_093451.jpg

Thanks Rolf, not sure if I want to tackle this now. I think I'll stick with the small compound cuts. LOL.