What changes would you like to see

fredfret

On EX/King style stands, that bar on the Stand is in the way of my legs.  I would also like to see them ditch the dust collection mechanism, and re-design something better.  All the manufacturers should shift to Pegas clamps standard.  Ex needs a coating on the table that don't come off so easily.

On the Hegner, would like to see a "good" top feed option with a quick Clamp type solution for the bottom,

I always wondered why Excalibur ever put a coating on the table in the first place? Why does it even need a coating is really a pretty good question.. I mean.. My DeWalt never had any coating and yeah if I don't keep it waxed it'll rust.. Hawk doesn't have any coatings on the table.. and if I don't wax it... it doesn't rust because it's aluminum.. I'd rather have no coating and sell me the saw for less money because you saved the money from having to coat a table that don't last more than 10 - 15 hours use.. LOL

The Dewalt would come with a on board dust collection and the jim dandy easy lift. Adjustable motor to change the blade movement like the EX... 

The Excalibur would have more table in front of the blade without any stupid coatings on it.. come standard with Pegas clamps.. and some sort of on board dust collection.. have a faster running speed like the DeWalt and Hawks 1500SPM Vrs 1750.. Stand could be designed more like the DeWalt stand...

My Hawk 226 Ultra would have variable blade aggression adjustment.. and a on board dust collection system... I think my new BM series will fit my request quite well other than the dust collection, LOL  

All saws come with a hour meter.. just make it easier for maintenance... and a timer to time projects.. Also all saws come with blade tubes and on board tube holder.. Adjustable height bracket for the foot switch be part of the stands that can mount on either side of the stand..  

Dewalt and Ex type saws have grease fittings so you don't have to spend a day taking them apart just to oil / grease them.. or high end sealed bearings..

All things I have seen mentioned are things anyone can add themselves. The vendors start doing all these things the price is going up. You can do them much cheaper. There are so many saws out there that it would be impossible to find one that does not fit your needs. Just have to have the money for the upper commercial models. 

The vac system is probably the one item that all saws should have built in but would take some engineering to make complete and useful and not to intrude with cutting. Tough to do because you need both top and bottom vac to be efficient. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

My BM - 26 is set up about as well as a saw could be, I reckon. I spend most all my time talkin' to it, unless I get a project I don't want to run over the deck of the Hawk, then I visit with my CW - 40.

I don't have any experience with them other breeds.

I'd like to see the CW - 40 brought back to life. That was a great saw! The saw deck could stand to be enlarged some. Mine is still in service. Parts availability seems to be alright. I have had to change out the bellows, power switch, VS switch, and the flexi - loc air line on mine, and I ain't able to tell ya how many hundreds of hours I've put on that ol' gal.

Sawdust703(brad)

What 

10 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

My BM - 26 is set up about as well as a saw could be, I reckon. I spend most all my time talkin' to it, unless I get a project I don't want to run over the deck of the Hawk, then I visit with my CW - 40.

I don't have any experience with them other breeds.

I'd like to see the CW - 40 brought back to life. That was a great saw! The saw deck could stand to be enlarged some. Mine is still in service. Parts availability seems to be alright. I have had to change out the bellows, power switch, VS switch, and the flexi - loc air line on mine, and I ain't able to tell ya how many hundreds of hours I've put on that ol' gal.

Sawdust703(brad)

What is a CW 40?

I really like my Hawk G4 as it is now. The only changes I have made to it are adding the Delta quick clamps to the upper arm.  and adding my own dust collection tied to a quiet Festool vac.

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

What 

What is a CW 40?

I really like my Hawk G4 as it is now. The only changes I have made to it are adding the Delta quick clamps to the upper arm.  and adding my own dust collection tied to a quiet Festool vac.

I think he takes it out and shoots it. That is the Hitachi saw he is talking about I am guessing. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Believe it or not, l love my DeWALT DW788. The only changes I would make is better quality bearings and a sealed on and off switch. As a top feeder, I love that the top arm swings up and comes down by itself. I love the large cast iron table and the upfront control. The blade clamps are great with a little routine maintenance. 

The only design change I would make is a larger capacity swing, maybe 24”-26”.

I'm surprised at your comment, JT.  

The CW - 40 is a 16'' scroll saw once made by Hitachi. It takes pin or pinless blades, and was sold with its own stand. The cast iron saw deck wasn't overly large on them, but as far as an entry level saw, they were nearly indestructible. There was an "electrical board" at the very back of the saw that ran the complete saw. I see now on a couple websites, it is available for replacement.  But some had that board "fry" and kill the complete saw. There were no replacements at the time. Shortly thereafter, the saw became obsolete. Personally, I have been fortunate enough not to endure any of those issues to date. I have replaced other  necessities on the saw, and it is still runnin' strong. 

My apologies, JT, in all your infinite wisdom, but no Sir, I do not take it out and shoot it. It is set up in the shop as a teacher saw, and I use it for other cuttin' I don't much care to run across the deck of my Hawk, Sir.

Thank you for your help on the clarification of that machine, kind sir. 

Sawdust703(brad)

2 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I'm surprised at your comment, JT.  

The CW - 40 is a 16'' scroll saw once made by Hitachi. It takes pin or pinless blades, and was sold with its own stand. The cast iron saw deck wasn't overly large on them, but as far as an entry level saw, they were nearly indestructible. There was an "electrical board" at the very back of the saw that ran the complete saw. I see now on a couple websites, it is available for replacement.  But some had that board "fry" and kill the complete saw. There were no replacements at the time. Shortly thereafter, the saw became obsolete. Personally, I have been fortunate enough not to endure any of those issues to date. I have replaced other  necessities on the saw, and it is still runnin' strong. 

My apologies, JT, in all your infinite wisdom, but no Sir, I do not take it out and shoot it. It is set up in the shop as a teacher saw, and I use it for other cuttin' I don't much care to run across the deck of my Hawk, Sir.

Thank you for your help on the clarification of that machine, kind sir. 

Sawdust703(brad)

Just a joke Brad  http://www.sportsmans.com/shooting/handguns/kahr-cw40-pistol/p/1137045

Rolf asked what a CW40 was. 

I edited that post you read to include the scrollsaw name just like I am editing this post too.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

On 1/20/2019 at 12:59 AM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

......I'd like to see the CW - 40 brought back to life. That was a great saw! ......Sawdust703(brad)

The thing that intrigued me by the CW40 was the discovery that Rexon actually manufactured all these type of saws, but that same saw with slight variations was being sold by Porter Cable, Proxxon, Craftsman, Rexon itself as well as many others.   I owned a CW40, had to return it and traded for virtually the same saw branded by Porter Cable.  I owned three of these saws over the years, each branded differently.  One of these was branded "Tradesman" as was almost identical to the CW40.  I still have the pcb370 at my childhood home in Oklahoma.  If you need a part, that same part should be available through PorterCable.  Main difference between cw40/tradesman and pcb370ss/craftsman was that the pc/craftsman version had a tilt gauge on the table, which is actually in the way.

But, the bottom blade clamp on these saws wasn't easily accessible.  

Edited by hotshot

For my first "New" saw I almost bought the CW-40 as well.. But instead I bought a Craftsman that lasted only long enough to un-box it and turn it on.. the variable speed wouldn't work and after seeing the quality next to my 16" Delta 2 speed saw I took it back.. Then ordered a refurb. Dremel 1800.. The first one mailed to me wouldn't even turn on.. so the company sent me a return slip to ship it back.. the next one came only a few days later.. they mailed it out before I even mailed this one back which surprised me.. Anyway the replacement ended up being a good saw for me.. I run it quite hard for about 3-4 years.. then bought my DeWalt.. I kept that old Dremel up until just a couple years ago and finally sold it. Saw didn't own me anything as the refurb I believe was only $180 and I sold the saw for $100 I kept the stand too LOL  

2 minutes ago, hotshot said:

The thing that intrigued me by the CW40 was the discovery that Rexon actually made saw, but that same saw with slight variations was being sold by Porter Cable, Proxxon, Craftsman, Rexon itself as well as many others.   I owned a CW40, had to return it and traded for virtually the same saw branded by Porter Cable.  I owned three of these saws over the years, each branded differently.  One of these was branded "Tradesman" as was almost identical to the CW40.  I still have the pcb370 at my childhood home in Oklahoma.  If you need a part, that same part should be available through PorterCable.  Main difference between cw40/tradesman and pcb370ss/craftsman was that the pc/craftsman version had a tilt gauge on the table, which is actually in the way.

But, the bottom blade clamp on these saws wasn't easily accessible.  

That must be the craftsman version I bought.. that didn't work.. as that was a selling point for me being the novice at the time.. I liked that built in angle gauge for some reason, LOL