1st puzzle

flarud

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, flarud said:

Made my first puzzle today.  It is a Steve Good pattern.  I also tried for the first time a size 2/0 blade.  I tried it on a test piece of 2 pieces of 1/8" BB first.  I could't control the blade at all.  I tried more tension, less tension, faster speed setting, slower speed setting.  Nothing helped.  I went to  a number 1 and had no problems.  Made it for the wife,, couldn't wait until V-Day,, already gave it to her.  LOL

20190204_184411.thumb.jpg.63f9870efd4ad18725a68803d66018e8.jpg

One thing I have found in cutting pieces, at least for me.  If I use a really small blade, I find it is sometimes difficult to stay on the line and have recently gone to using a #3 to #6 double tooth blade and found I am able to cut way more intricate pieces then I really thought would work with that large of a blade. It means more sanding of fuzzies but a much cleaner cut for me. Nice idea for Valentines day

Dick

heppnerguy 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:43 PM, dgman said:

Nice work! You said you tried a 2/0 blade, but didn’t say what brand and type. I and many have reported that Flying Dutchman UR and Skiptooth. blades are uncontrollable. If I need to use a 2/0 blade, I’ll use Olson.

I have ever only used Olson blades.  Since joining SSV I have heard Pegas mentioned quite frequently.  I decided to pick up a starter pack of the Modified Geometry blades.  That is the blade that I couldn't control, in the 2/0 size.  I ended up using their size 1 with no problem.  I will prob get some Olson's in the 2/0 and give it a try.  Thanks for the help. 

2/0 blades in general are hard to control because they follow the grain so easily. I slow down my saw speed and my feed rate slightly and have little issue with them. at high speed and full feed rate any line I try to follow better be the grain lines or else it won't get cut.  We all have to learn our saw and our blades in combination with the material we cut takes time and much work.

Fredfret