• 11 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, John B said:

:) My Missus is the same Charley. When I used to get those magazines I'd show her a nice fretwork piece and those clocks in particular. She'd call them "Foldy Dolls" Unnecessary items that required more work than they should to keep them looking nice. Dust collectors. Needless to say our house is devoid of fretwork. :)

John,

I have similar problems, so the dusting of my dragon clock became "my problem" as soon as I brought it into the house. Every few months I get "warned", and I have to take it out to the shop and blow it off with the compressed air gun. I usually also wipe the easy to get to surface parts with a soft towel too. 

For my cross, I don't get the same treatment. She likes it, so she takes care of it, though I usually do the same with it whenever I decide that it needs cleaning. The cross is attached below. I only made the one dragon, but I have made 16 of the crosses, and all of them went to family and distant family except for two, since I still have the last one partially finished in the shop. They each take about 12 hours to make. This one in the photo is actually the first one that I made, and my wife claimed it as soon as it was shown to her.

I cut them out on my scroll saw, but then use a modified dentist drill and 1/16" dental bits to carve the leaves and vines. It's all cut from one piece of mahogany. Antique Gold Rub-N-Buff was applied to the leaves, then Tung Oil was applied to the whole cross. I made one of the 16 from white oak, and I wasn't happy with how it carved, so the rest are all mahogany. On one of them I coated the cross itself with gold Run-N-Buff, as well as finish the rest of the cross the same as the others. This gold cross was the only "out of family gift" of them. It went to a very special minister friend who had helped me get through, and then recover from, my major heart surgery 23 years ago, and I didn't even know him before that. He was an amazing person who had also been through the same heart surgery, and then lived to see his 90th birthday. 

Charley

P1010004-1.thumb.jpg.be4abb85028d0031f2464fa9968f5197.jpg

Edited by CharleyL

I purchased this a couple years a go.  I use it a lot, to blow sawdust off, and dust off/out of fret work.  I take in and the item meeding dusting to my back door, step just outside the door and do it.  Great tool replaces the noisy compressor for all blowing with the exception of using my small nailer and air brush... May work with those if I had a what to hook them up to it.  

49046E20-2C60-49D1-A7A8-54D170117C01.jpeg