SSV - Software Upgrade

Travis

Howdy All.  I just upgraded SSV's software.  As with any software upgrade, things will get a bit wonky as I set everything back.  Let me know if something is broken or isn't behaving correctly.  I know there's a number of things that I have on my list.  I'm going to try to get things back to normal over the next few days.  Hopefully, you won't notice most of them.  ;)

I've updated the theme.  Hopefully, nobody can tell the difference.  I see the individual display records for our database is broken (things like scroll saw reviews, clubs, shops, etc).  I'll have to dig into that and figure out what's wrong.

Let me know if anybody else sees anything off.

Thanks all!

@Travis,  When I come here via a bookmark on my tool bar the takes me to new/changed posts since my last visit.  I know it must do some kind of search to do this.  I now get a banner across my the top, just under the advertisements that is highlighted and states " The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete."

Not sure if this is new or I just never noticed it before.  I don't know what it is telling me.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@Travis,  When I come here via a bookmark on my tool bar the takes me to new/changed posts since my last visit.  I know it must do some kind of search to do this.  I now get a banner across my the top, just under the advertisements that is highlighted and states " The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete."

Not sure if this is new or I just never noticed it before.  I don't know what it is telling me.

When you update software, it goes through the entire site and re-indexes all of the posts for easier searching.  Your page that you land on should be pretty up to date.  It usually does the most recent content first, then goes to the older stuff.

I use the unread content page mostly, in the past when you clicked mark site read, the screen would refresh with no threads listed

tried that today (just got back from vacation) and the page does not refresh like it did, but if I revisit the unread content page, it does show that those threads were marked as read

In the unread listing I click the bullet or star next to the thread tile, go to first unread post.

Before the upgrade that worked fine, almost immediate screen display.  After the upgrade I get a "waiting on ..." until I give up and just click the thread title, then it comes in immediately

I kind of feel this is connected to the my previous comment about the mark as read not refreshing the listing

Huh...yah, when I click the Mark Site Read, it will refresh the status of the posts (making them unbolded and removing the bullet), but won't remove the posts.  If you refresh, they disappear.  I guess it's nice to be able to click into a thread after clicking the button.  Maybe on the next update, it'll revert to how it used to be.

When I click the bullet, I still go to the first unread post.  So that seems to work for me.  It seems a bit laggy, though.  But that could be my connection.

Ok I see the unbold now that you mentioned it, that works, hate change like it the other way though

🙂

still lags  lot when I click first unread, but the thread comes in immediately when I click it, no lag at all, I have a high speed connection, and if the thread comes in like it should, then the first unread sub routine is having an issue IMO

• 1 month later...

The only thing I have noticed lately is that it seems like your server is slower. I used to click on something and I'd get a pretty fast reaction. Now, if i click on a notification that somebody reacted to or quoted me or whatever, the little activity symbol goes round and round for upwards of a minute sometimes. I have a very fast computer and a 100/100 internet speed so the only thing I can think of is traffic on your site. It started recently like within the last 2 weeks. I was wondering if you had done something and I just saw your post.

Yah...I heard it was down for a short time yesterday.  There was some server upgrades that happened in the background.  I think there was a bit of lag as it switched DNS severs, which made it unavailable for a bit.  I'm hoping things are working a bit better.  Page refreshes seem to work OK, it's more the dynamic stuff that seem to be lagging a bit.  I'm not sure if it's the server, or if it's the software update I made a bit ago.  I'll check with the company that makes the software to see if they have any insight.

• 10 months later...