Armed Forces Day Pattern

baggetta

Armed Forces Day is celebrated on May 18 and this is a nice table sign to recognize this important day to all the men and women who make sacrifices to keep our country safe.  This piece is easy enough to cut out.  The lettering is big and bold and the stars which represent the six departments of service are large enough to cut easily.  I cut this from another variegated blank I made of several woods.  The off cut from the base show the tops of the stars so I decided to make that part of the base.  The bottom of the base is a nice piece of maple.  Hope you enjoy working with this pattern. You can download the free pattern from my FREE PATTERN page.

Armed Forces Day Image Small.jpg

Nice cutting

I don't want to nit pick, but you have confused me

what is a department of service?  6 of them?

The department of defense is an executive branch, and has three military departments under it, Army, Air Force, Navy (Marines are part of the Navy though they don't always think so).  In time of war the Coast Guard is considered a military service, but in peacetime it is part of homeland defense.

3 hours ago, baggetta said:

Well, perhaps I'm wrong, but I used the header of the Armed Forces Page here: https://www.defense.gov/Know-Your-Military/Our-Forces/

I see what you used for reference, interesting difference in government pages.  Though it does say the Marines are part of the Navy, it is interesting that they consider the coast guard a military service, may be it is the "War on Terror" .  Don't get me wrong the coast guard does wonders with little recognition. Just confused me is all