2 1/2 Hours Later

Rockytime

Picture 1: I'm cutting this two up on 3/16" Luan ply. The pattern is mounted on the wood with Duck clear shelf liner. After cutting about 25% of the pattern I gave up. The pattern kept releasing from the wood. I spent more time with Scotch tape than I did cutting.

Picture 2: I started over again. This time I had the brilliant idea to copy the pattern on to Avery adhesive back label stock. It held beautifull. No liftin, just good cutting. A real pleasure.

Picture 3: Dang, the pattern won't release. I'm afraid to soak it with mineral spirits as I have no idea how the Avery adhesive will react. Will it turn out to be a mess? Don't know. Sooo,

Picture 3: Start removing wearing magnifiers using Xacto knife and tweezers. The pattern would split. The top layer coming off and the adhesive base left to be scraped off carefull trying not to break the very small parts of the cutting.

Picture 4: TWO and ONE HALF hours later. Success at last.

I'm not knocking the shelf liner or the Avery label. Just saying how it worked for me. I use both items. However, I think the next thing I cut like this is to cement the pattern directly to the wood and release with mineral spirits. I have not done that before but I remember several scrollers doing it that way.

1-20190626_142743.jpg

2-20190626_142718.jpg

3-20190626_143818.jpg

4-20190626_163005.jpg

I did not sand the Luan. The wood was super smooth. When I applied the shelf liner I rolled it down very firmly with a hard rubber roller. The I burnished it with a burnisher made of a Delrin like material. Very smooth and very hard. I use Shelf liner quite often but on patterns without the very fine detail. The Avery paper works very well also but not on fine detail as it wants to pull up the fine veneer but works well on solid woods.

I used to glue the pattern directly to the board, using spray adhesive on the paper, and still do sometimes.  Usually now I use the shelf liner and glue the pattern to that.  To get the glued pattern off, I use a spay bottle filled with mineral spirits.  I just sprayed a light mist over the entire pattern, then let it sit for a minute.  The entire pattern will almost slide off in one piece.  Then I wipe off the surface of the board with a paper towel to get off any bit of glue left.  I always let it dry overnight, then lightly sanded the surface with fine sandpaper to prepare it for finishing.  With the shelf paper, I don't have to do wait overnight for the piece to dry before finishing.

I've had on occasion the shelf liner stick real good. too good actually.. A hair drier to soften up the glue works wonders.. Over the last couple years of using the shelf liner I've had maybe 3 projects where the stuff stuck too good.. most all those cases.. the liner sat on the wood for more than a few days.. If it's been on for two weeks or more.. I almost always use a heat gun or whatever to heat it up.. actually just setting it outside in the direct sun works well too.. 

You did good on the cutting.. I've cut that one a couple times.. Fun one to do..

Edited by kmmcrafts

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I use the labels too. Directly on the wood. Heat gun makes them come right off. Never a problem and no residue left behind.

Nice job of cutting Les.

I've also used a heat gun on the blue tape, if I don't get to cut it for awhile, it can be a bugger to get of. Normally, within a few days of even a week it is no problem.

1 hour ago, John B said:

I've also used a heat gun on the blue tape, if I don't get to cut it for awhile, it can be a bugger to get of. Normally, within a few days of even a week it is no problem.

I have actually left a pattern on for more than a month because of interruptions and just heated them and removed them.

Brilliant cutting, lovely piece.  I've taken to just gluing my pattern to the wood and using mineral spirits to take it off. No doubt that's not what I'm supposed to do but to be honest I've not yet noticed a difference in cutting from when I put blue tape underneath. I found taking the blue tape off the teeny tiny bits off darn near impossible with my fingers being the way they are. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Brilliant cutting, lovely piece.  I've taken to just gluing my pattern to the wood and using mineral spirits to take it off. No doubt that's not what I'm supposed to do but to be honest I've not yet noticed a difference in cutting from when I put blue tape underneath. I found taking the blue tape off the teeny tiny bits off darn near impossible with my fingers being the way they are. 🙂 

Brenda I do that too, it works fine and I have no issues at all.

Boy, I'm terrible with waiting to finish a cut... I've got a pattern out there that is half cut.. been that way for about 2.5 years now.. Many others in the same state.. Yeah, I'll finish it eventually always do.. For one.. it's not my favorite style of work... so i lost enthusiasm in cutting it.. I do cut every now and then on it.. actually cut on it two weeks ago.. Most my projects get done the same day / week.. but then there is always a few that get pushed aside because an order came in and I had to switch projects.. so there are many new items started that needs finished... usually interrupted because of an order coming in..  I've got about 40 wall clocks I cut out over the last 5-6 months..Just need to cut backers for them.. which I did a few backers this week.. I've not got a stack of them to glue up..

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Boy, I'm terrible with waiting to finish a cut... I've got a pattern out there that is half cut.. been that way for about 2.5 years now.. Many others in the same state.. Yeah, I'll finish it eventually always do.. For one.. it's not my favorite style of work... so i lost enthusiasm in cutting it.. I do cut every now and then on it.. actually cut on it two weeks ago.. Most my projects get done the same day / week.. but then there is always a few that get pushed aside because an order came in and I had to switch projects.. so there are many new items started that needs finished... usually interrupted because of an order coming in..  I've got about 40 wall clocks I cut out over the last 5-6 months..Just need to cut backers for them.. which I did a few backers this week.. I've not got a stack of them to glue up..

Maybe I'm lucky to have such a small shop. I don't have room for unfinished projects. Actually, I don't have room for anything more than I have right now.

Notice shelf liner has been recommended and I've see different projects that were either successful or had problems. i have not seen any brand name of any shelf paper. Its written as if shelf paper has one type adhesive or paper. I suspect the brand shelf paper may have something to do with how well it works. Almost everything has a cheaply made product and more expensive product with results in between. Grades of wood, hardware, cars, masking tape,blades, whatever. I suspect if people were to give the brands, suppliers there would be a more consistent outcome of the projects. RJF

7 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

Notice shelf liner has been recommended and I've see different projects that were either successful or had problems. i have not seen any brand name of any shelf paper. Its written as if shelf paper has one type adhesive or paper. I suspect the brand shelf paper may have something to do with how well it works. Almost everything has a cheaply made product and more expensive product with results in between. Grades of wood, hardware, cars, masking tape,blades, whatever. I suspect if people were to give the brands, suppliers there would be a more consistent outcome of the projects. RJF

Well just a FYI

I use Duct brand.. don't usually have a problem with it.. but on occasion I have had... and it must be one of two things.. A) the board you're sticking it too or B)  bad section of the shelf liner..I say this because I had a issue once and was about half way through a roll.. not a problem for the first half.. and not a problem after that one project... This has happen a couple times for me like this.. out of those times 2 was sticking to BB ply.. I thought it was something to do with the ply.. but then it did it once on  solid piece of Cherry lumber once too.. SO... your guess is as good as mine.. Still... from all the projects I've used it on... it's nicer to use than tape or any other product I've used or tried so far.. Just once in a great while.. It wants to remind me how bad some of the other process's work, LOL  

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ken O said:

I use cheapo dollar store masking tape, then spray adhesive to hold the pattern to the tape. Cheap masking tape peels right off, no issues. 

Does it work as well as the blue tape. Removal and adhesive residue left behind. I'm interested to know because that blue stuff gets expensive.