Village University Has Moved

Travis

Hi All.  The Village University has moved to it's own section!  It is now located under the Resources tab in the top menu.  You can also get there by clicking here.

GIMP.pngInkscape.png

Back in 2009, we taught a couple of in-depth classes on how to design your own scroll saw patterns.  One on designing portrait patterns using GIMP, and another on designing patterns using Inkscape.  These were originally in the forum, which worked pretty well.  However, in the future, I'd like to offer other classes, too.  So I needed a better way to organize and manage the classes without cluttering up the main forum.

So, I purchased an add-on module for the forum that manages online courses.  The software is currently in beta, but I was able go get early access since I'm also supporting the developer.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles programmed yet, but it seems to be stable and a should fit our needs nicely.

As a first step, I moved the original pattern making classes to this new section.  When I moved the classes, I went through and updated the links, graphics, and language.  So everything should be complete and easy to read and follow along.

In order to view the lessons or participate in the class discussion, you must first enroll in the class.  This is easy.  On the front page of the class, there's a big green Enroll button you can click.  Then you have access to the class and lessons.  Each class has a video, written instructions, screenshots, assignments, reference materials, and a place to ask questions or add comments.  On the top-left of each lesson, there's a button you can mark a lesson as Complete.  This is a good way to remember where you left off.  You'll also have a list of your enrolled classes on your profile page.

I'm super excited about this.  In the future, I hope to offer other classes covering a variety of subjects.  My continued goal is to support the scroll saw community and bring you resources to take your hobby to the next level.  I hope you enjoy this new addition to our humble community.  :)

I moved the original Village University threads to the Works In Progress forum.  I locked the threads and added a link to the updated classes, which in-turn bumped the threads.  Sorry for bumping the old threads, but it needed to happen with the migration.

Also note, the new classes area is in beta, which means that the programming it isn't fully flushed out.  So it may be lacking a few features that will be added later.  But if you run into something that isn't working right, please let me know and I can inform the developer.

Hi Travis.

I signed up and will review all the lessons in time.  I think I have looked at before and I find at my age I find something each time.  

One video that I have reviewed a number of times is the one on Intersecting Art work and I think that others may want to see this in the University too.

Thanks for all the great work in this area.

Don

PS:  I looked the original lessons from Free4all just recently too.

7 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

Hi Travis.

I signed up and will review all the lessons in time.  I think I have looked at before and I find at my age I find something each time.  

One video that I have reviewed a number of times is the one on Intersecting Art work and I think that others may want to see this in the University too.

Thanks for all the great work in this area.

Don

PS:  I looked the original lessons from Free4all just recently too.

The intersecting artwork tutorial is in the articles area.  I'm going to clean that up a bit too.  The University section is for more in-depth training that has multiple lessons that build on each other.

8 hours ago, JimErn said:

I am using FF quantum v68.0 64 bit

when I click the resources tab, I get the drop down menu, as soon as I move the mouse to try to select one, the drop down menu goes away.  Does not matter what page I have up at the time, happens to all of them.

All other tabs with drop down menus work as expected

If you're hovering over the text in the menu, it works a bit better (left side of the words).  It's when you get beyond the text square (right side of the words), the menu collapses.  I'll see if I can make it work better, but that may be deep in the software code.

15 hours ago, Travis said:

If you're hovering over the text in the menu, it works a bit better (left side of the words).  It's when you get beyond the text square (right side of the words), the menu collapses.  I'll see if I can make it work better, but that may be deep in the software code.

Odd that all the other tabs, with drop down menu's work fine