Unusual blade question

Foxfold

I was talking today with an old friend (85yrs young) who used to be a teacher in woodworking for many years. Scrolling, turning, furniture making the whole kit and caboodle. We were talking about scrolling as he loves some of my pieces (especially the half naked lady) 😉 and I was telling him about my failed attempts with spiral blades. He smiled and said ''try twisting one of your flat blades a full turn before you fasten it in the clamp''  he reckons it will cut very nicely.  Now, I promised him I would try and would let him know how I got on.  This is something I have never heard of before, so I'm asking everyone before I even attempt this....    Have you ever tried this ? 

I have heard of some of the older scrollers that would take the blade and with 2 pliers, one near where the spiral teeth begin and with the other one twist the top and bottom to achieve a flat surface. For me this was easier said than done! I just flatten both ends with a small tack hammer on a bench vise with an anvil.  This works for me as far as making it  easier to clamp the blades into the holders.

Erv

Well, I tried it and it does work. I went very slowly, in fact I stood at arms length from the saw to turn it on just in case.  Don't know if I expected it to blow up or something, but I sure looked very silly 🙂  I think perhaps he scrolled before they made spirals or maybe in post war Britain there were none to be had.    But one thing is sure, although the technique works it's an awful pain in the fingers trying to hold a blade and twist it 360 and then clamp it. I for one will be practicing with my spirals in future. 🤣

11 hours ago, Scrappile said:

could you turn it with pliers instead of hurting your fingers?

I did use pliers, but I have practically no strength in my thumbs so I still found it hard to grip the pliers and hold tight while I twisted the blade and passed it to my other hand to turn it.  If that makes any sense. 🤪    I'm just an old feeble woman what can I say 🤣

On 7/19/2019 at 4:24 AM, Foxfold said:

I did use pliers, but I have practically no strength in my thumbs so I still found it hard to grip the pliers and hold tight while I twisted the blade and passed it to my other hand to turn it.  If that makes any sense. 🤪    I'm just an old feeble woman what can I say 🤣

You could do this easier, using two small  vice-grips.  I have twisted  flat blades this way but just ninety degrees and cut from the side of the saw.  Did this to make cuts on wood longer than my saw could reach otherwise.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:51 AM, Foxfold said:

Well, I tried it and it does work. I went very slowly, in fact I stood at arms length from the saw to turn it on just in case.  Don't know if I expected it to blow up or something, but I sure looked very silly 🙂  I think perhaps he scrolled before they made spirals or maybe in post war Britain there were none to be had.    But one thing is sure, although the technique works it's an awful pain in the fingers trying to hold a blade and twist it 360 and then clamp it. I for one will be practicing with my spirals in future. 🤣

From memory Brenda you have a Hegner clone.  Why not fit the blade to the blade clamps and twist it before fitting the clamps in the saw?   Does that make sense?

Rob

1 hour ago, Rob said:

From memory Brenda you have a Hegner clone.  Why not fit the blade to the blade clamps and twist it before fitting the clamps in the saw?   Does that make sense?

Rob

It makes perfect sense Rob. However, although I tried it, it really was a question asked out of curiosity as I'd never heard of 'twisting' your own blades before.  As I've said, I think perhaps my old friend used this method in post war times when spirals were not available.  Nowadays spirals are easily bought so that's what I'd do.