Boxes with inlay

Dave Monk

18 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Small drill bit and a bit of filler works wonders.

Great work Dave! Wonderful boxes!

I agree flocking is a flocking pain to get perfect.  As to hiding the entry hole, what I do if it is obvious, is to shave off the imperfection with an Exacto knife before gluing the inlay in place.  This gives a slightly wider kerf space that is not noticed after filling in with filler.

I also usually use 3/8" wood but I needed to do inlay in 3/16" thick wood that I am using for the sliding cover of wine bottle boxes.  Without changing my saw table angle  I just inlay the 3/8" wood into the thinner wood and push it through until the back is flush.  I then cut and sand off the front flush.  Here is a photo of my first three of them. 

2130647393_photo(17).thumb.jpg.c3c1d331f67edf724ed4a288cbb65cc2.jpg1477556169_Winebottleboxgrapes.thumb.jpg.e8446605870cb3de294c57df306ee408.jpg

Edited by Jim Finn
New Photo

4 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

Great work Dave! Wonderful boxes!

I agree flocking is a flocking pain to get perfect.  As to hiding the entry hole, what I do if it is obvious, is to shave off the imperfection with an Exacto knife before gluing the inlay in place.  This gives a slightly wider kerf space that is not noticed after filling in with filler.

I also usually use 3/8" wood but I needed to do inlay in 3/16" thick wood that I am using for the sliding cover of wine bottle boxes.  Without changing my saw table angle  I just inlay the 3/8" wood into the thinner wood and push it through until the back is flush.  I then cut and sand off the front flush.  Here is a photo of my first three of them. 

2130647393_photo(17).thumb.jpg.c3c1d331f67edf724ed4a288cbb65cc2.jpg

That is gorgeous Jim! You are the one that originally inspired me to do inlays. I have a ways to go to catch up.........that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@Dave Monk, what is the shelf life of the Famowood?  Every time I buy a wood filler of some kind, I get to use it once, next time I try to use it it is dried up. I might have to try this brand.

I always keep a can of solvent. When it gets a bit stiff I just add a bit. As long as I keep the lid tight it will last forever. The solvent is a bit harder to find. Luckily my local lumber supplier carries it. Some of the colors don't match perfectly mainly because every piece of wood is a different color. I have the hardest time with a real light maple. I keep red oak, maple, alder, walnut, and natural.   A lot of times I use alder fill to fill oak.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXji44vB7-vs9TCENxLBbxc63fEeRD4ol8LduyIqSTuHv4KGGerl-dmJnJ02iVjRrA60bTHHFf_j5WagLYQ6AAe1ZiaAlyPQ&usqp=CAEshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt39QDIhCyAk9Q34J10CBWQuQQhj619abjKLGIBblrfRsItNIoxpjIxr0IED3xIwom_vAWX67fYifXdLENLcEyEhUuA7vnrpABh6NGksW7yH4xkx0Fs3apkA&usqp=CAE

I wonder if they are phasing out the Original stuff to go with the Latex .  Everywhere I looked the solvent for the "original" was discontinued.  Have you ever tried the latex type?

I'm wondering what kind of solvent would work with the original,,, maybe mineral spirits..

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I wonder if they are phasing out the Original stuff to go with the Latex .  Everywhere I looked the solvent for the "original" was discontinued.  Have you ever tried the latex type?

I'm wondering what kind of solvent would work with the original,,, maybe mineral spirits..

I have never tried the latex type. As long as I can get the original I will stay with it. I don't think mineral spirits will work but I have heard acetone will work but I have never tried it.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:19 PM, Dave Monk said:

This is my first attempt at flocking. As mentioned in another thread I was not very happy with the outcome. The first time I did it my coverage was not great. I went ahead and put more coat of glue over the existing flocking on the bottom. I did a lot of research and no one recommended doing this but I am always willing to try something once. The results weren't great. The coverage is good but ended up with small bumps. I won't try that again.

Octoolguy inspired me to do the round box. He made one and posted it probably about a month ago. I did change it up a bit.

Harley Trinket Box.JPG

Harley Trinket Box2.JPG

Round Jewelry Box (1).JPG

Round Jewelry Box (2).JPG

Wow Dave! That's gorgeous! You did that pattern I sent you in a big way. I had thought about doing the thin layers in corresponding colored wood. Now, I know what it looks like. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful!

7 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

As per usual, your work is always a master piece. I marvel at your skills. I remember when you started, seems like yesterday. You always have done really nice and precise work. So glad you post it so I can drool over it all

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks for you flattering words Dick. Time sure does fly by. Just about three years now since I became addicted.  I owe all of you guys for all the help.