Pagas blades on the Hegner

GrampaJim

I bought some Pegas #MGT blades from Denny (Fast delivery!!).  I have been using FD-UR blades forever and a few Olsen blades once in a while.  I really like how Pegas blades cut. 

I have always had a problem on the Hegner with breaking blades.  Usually on top, at the Quick Clamp, but sometimes at the bottom clamp.  And I know that if it breaks in or at the clamp, you are over tightening the clamp and kinking the blade (BTW - I learned that here at SSV).  And yes I know that I am being too ham fisted and over tightening.

With the Pegas blades, the only breakage is in the middle and that is VERY rare.  And they seem to stay sharp longer too.

Edited by GrampaJim

I have never had a pmg break at the top or bottom clamps on my Hegners. I keep my tension TIGHT! However my blades will break in the middle. I usually use #2/0 or #1 pmg. After cutting a while and the blade is getting dull I can almost anticipate the break. I think because the blades are thin I should back off the tension a bit. I also run the saw at fairly fast speeds.

My Pegas blade will also break on the Hawk... Mostly break right at the top or bottom of the stroke where the teeth are being used.. I run my saw 3/4 - 7/8 of the way up on the dial.. BUT... they aren't breaking prematurely.. but rather because I'm running them longer than I should.. They are so sharp and cut decent even when worn badly.. I don't break FD blades at all but I can't stand running them for very long either..they get dull and just won't cut without forcing them through the wood and flexing the blade ruining the project etc.. Those Pegas will chomp right through until they break... I almost always run them until they do, LOL

That all said.. Never broke one on my Excalibur or DeWalt.. But those short arms on those saws I believe are easier on the blades.. Those long arm saws tend to stress blades more.. Especially the long arms on the 26" saws..  

I very seldom break a blade. I tension my blades by the book that came with my EX21. I have the Pegas clamps and that determines how much tension is applied once you level the upper arm of the saw. I tend to use a blade far too long before retiring it in favor of a new one. Kevin, you are right. The Pegas blades do keep on "tickin'" longer than any other blade I've tried.