Saw Lighting and Viewing

Rockytime

I don't want to beat an old horse to death but here goes. I purchased a 5X mag light for my saw. Too strong. Put in on my metal lathe bench. Bought a 1.5X mag lamp on ebay foe $25, a very nice lamp for the price. Worked quite well but it kept my nose to close to the table. I bought this 3X lamp on Amazon for $50. Wow, perfect viewing distance for me. What is unique is the lens. The lens is plastic but the quality of the viewing is great! It is unusual due to it's shape. It is like not looking through a lamp because there is no distracting outside frame. The led's are mounted underneath and just ahead of the lens. The led's are 24 volt . It is a unique looking lamp but works beautifully just wearing my reading glasses.

2-20191120_181114.jpg

1-20191120_181056.jpg

3-20191120_181929.jpg

15 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I don't want to beat an old horse to death but here goes. I purchased a 5X mag light for my saw. Too strong. Put in on my metal lathe bench. Bought a 1.5X mag lamp on ebay foe $25, a very nice lamp for the price. Worked quite well but it kept my nose to close to the table. I bought this 3X lamp on Amazon for $50. Wow, perfect viewing distance for me. What is unique is the lens. The lens is plastic but the quality of the viewing is great! It is unusual due to it's shape. It is like not looking through a lamp because there is no distracting outside frame. The led's are mounted underneath and just ahead of the lens. The led's are 24 volt . It is a unique looking lamp but works beautifully just wearing my reading glasses.

2-20191120_181114.jpg

1-20191120_181056.jpg

3-20191120_181929.jpg

Les, it's never "beating a dead horse" when you post about a new product. If nobody ever let the word get out, we'd all still be using handheld fret saws. Just sayin.....

14 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I don't know how to send a link but it is on Amazon and is called Quantum Precision Ultra Lamp. $49.99 & free shipping.

Les, when you are looking at something all you have to do is go up into the address bar, put your cursor there and right click. Hit the copy option. Then go wherever you want to post it and right click and hit paste. Very easy.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Les, when you are looking at something all you have to do is go up into the address bar, put your cursor there and right click. Hit the copy option. Then go wherever you want to post it and right click and hit paste. Very easy.

Thanks Ray. I used to do that. Now, however, I started using Opera since you mentioned it. I can't find the copy, paste, etc button. I know it has one but darned if I can find it. It sure isn't where it was on firefox. 

22 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Rockytime, care to post a few pictures of how you have it mounted?

With every new item I buy there is always a shake down period as there is with this lamp. I've been cutting with it for about 10 hours now and I find it wonderful. The only down side is the lamp head is very light because it does not have the heavy light ring. As a result the  lamp will all of a sudden lift due to the light weight of the lens and lamp. The problem was solved by placing a weight on the upper arm just behind the lens. The arms are very robust and work fine for the standard lamps with the light ring. Other than that the lamp and lens work very well. There has been lots of discussion on diopters. It appears that 3X is an all around choice for scrolling. Several here have purchased 3X lanterns that were recommended during a intarsia course. I do not mount lamps directly on the saw. The slightest vibration of the magnifier is disturbing to me. I mount the lamp on a bench next to the saw. I place no faith in the mounting clamps so I cut off the disk on the screw. I want the screw to bite into the bench. Then I drill a hole on the top of the mount and drive in a 1" sheet rock screw.

1-20191121_131349.jpg

1-20191122_123932.jpg

2-20191122_123952.jpg

1-20191122_174238.jpg