🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

What is Fretwork?

Rockytime

I googled it just to see how best to describe it.. But the meaning it says is totally different than what my thought of it was.. so maybe all these years of saying I do mostly fretwork has been wrong?  Because I always thought it was work that had inside cuts.. or drilled holes to do inside cuts.. I always considered anything was fretwork even if it only had one inside cutout.. while many are more than one.. some are hundreds or even thousands maybe.. but a inside cut is a inside cut in my book whether it's one or ??

This is what Wikipedia said though

Fretwork is an interlaced decorative design that is either carved in low relief on a solid background, or cut out with a fretsaw, coping saw, jigsaw or scroll saw. Most fretwork patterns are geometric in design. The materials most commonly used are wood and metal.

Mr. Kevin, 

Yer Google hit the nail on the head, Sir!

In country boy terms, I reckon I'd of told ya that fretwork would be most anything finely carved, cut with a fret saw, or smaller detailing cut in wood, metal, or other materials.

Imho, fretwork, in our hobby, would be any finely sawn detailed project, sawn from the inside out in thin material for decorative purposes.

That's my take on the subject.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

Well we should all know that in the scrolling field there are different types of work and for many years before all of us were even born they used the word fretwork for fancy detailed carvings. But we use it to designate any project that requires drilled holes and insertion of blades. As mentioned Silhouette, intarsia, inlay, marquetry, 3D cutting and probably missing something. Portraits is just a form or projects of fret work. Portraits can be done using marquetry also or even intarsia. The use of fret saws was probably the origin of the word. here is another explanation.

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fretwork.htm 

I was of the impression that "fretwork" meant predominantly interior cuts. But, I guess if you go back far enough it would mean anything cut with a fret saw. I proclaim that from this day forward, when we say "fretwork" we all mean that it's interior cuts using pre-drilled entry holes. I have spoken!