Old & New - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

On 1/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, RabidAlien said:

Ver' nice!!!  What blades do you use for metal?  Just curious if the normal Pegas or Flying Dutchman  UR blades would work, or if there's specific blades for metal cutting.

I just use Pegas No5 reverse skip ...bought Pegas metal cutting blades but they seemed to break very easy ..Normal blades work very well

On 1/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, RabidAlien said:

Ver' nice!!!  What blades do you use for metal?  Just curious if the normal Pegas or Flying Dutchman  UR blades would work, or if there's specific blades for metal cutting.

Should also add ..If you're going to try metal I found it easier to keep the speed down on my saw ..The blade tends to grab the metal and pull at it so nice and slow does it ..l

On 1/17/2020 at 1:11 AM, Scrappile said:

Had to think long and hard about posting here on this topic, because I think the point is to see how much improvement one has made.  I think back and some of very first scrolling was when I was a little dirty kid that played pirates, army, cowboys and indians,  err, sorry cowpersons and native Americans, and I grabbed a scrap piece of wood wood, climbed up on my stool and scroll a pirate knife, army tommy gun or some firearm to shoot the enemy with.  Of coarse I have know pictures of them, didn't have digital camera or cell phones and I couldn't stand still long enough to have some one stand behind a big box, take of a lens cover and hold up a apparatus that popped with  a flash of light (think about it, you will get it).  But when I really became a "scroller" I started right out doing fretwork. I don't remember the order that I cut the pieces but this was one of my very early ones.

k99ucla.jpg

I think it was my peak..... and to be honest, I have not bested it.  But I have sure enjoyed the trip, tried many different things, and would say that in my life span, of hobbies, I think I have enjoyed scrolling the most, and it has lasted the longest.  But I am almost 76 now, I am loosing some dexterity, have some damage to my vision, can't control my fingers as well nor feel thins with them as well, can't sit as long, back hurts, get headaches, and my attention span is getting shorter... neither words, I am getting old.  Not complaining about it, just a fact.

So, my new is pretty mundane comparatively, not at all ashamed of them, I really enjoyed making them, but they are not as detailed or technical as I use to do. 

Xp2UAu8.jpg

My future cuts, I hope are going to be things like scrolled fretwork boxes and some clocks, things I hope to give to someone that they will want to keep.  I only have about 4 or 5 projects planned this year, so each one is going to take me a while and involve some other woodworking to accomplish. 

I also spend more time pondering now, as you can see.  Sorry for the wordy post.  I shut up, now and go back to my current project

The Viking is amazing Scappile. Don't want to distract from the cuteness of the gnomes, but the viking is truly awesome.

Do you mind if I ask how big this is?

Thanks for sharing and a BIG well done.

Tony?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:23 PM, tgiro said:

My first attempt at the winter bear, from Wood magazine - as compared to the custom bears I did for my wife's relatives 50th wedding anniversary. She's a retired RN and he's a retired contractor that rebuilds old 1950's Ford Thunderbirds as a hobby.

2009-bear.jpg

2017-bears.jpg

Tony, that is just gorgeous! As always, your work is amazing.

• Travis unpinned this topic

I don't have many for comparison, as I just bought my 1st scroll saw a few weeks ago. I made a butterfly and 3-d basket to get used to things, and just am finishing my 3rd thing, a fretwork box. So here's my entire repertoire...

I'm amazed at the artistry I see at this sight! Glad I was directed here!

basket.jpg.098f37316c469948375a5d07ba46aa1e.jpgbutterfly.jpg.7580e196244f9f67c76b7bfc40580310.jpg

fret-box.thumb.jpg.eb1806af714d82a33889c485c6237efe.jpg

butterfly.jpg

basket.jpg

Edited by dman
too many pics! Tried to delete the bottom ones, but don't see how to do it.

5 hours ago, dman said:

Did you use a program to convert the photos into line art? I would like to make an image of my niece similar to the one you did of the boy.. How did you get the image? Thanks!

Hi David. Inside the posts for “Works in Progress & Tutorials” find the post called USING GIMP2 TO MAKE PATTERNS. Kris revealed his secrets to making portraits from pictures. I’ve tried it and it works very well. Travis also has some tutorials on portraits to patterns you can find them in the Resources area then Village University. 
Hope this was helpful

Irene

6 hours ago, dman said:

Did you use a program to convert the photos into line art? I would like to make an image of my niece similar to the one you did of the boy.. How did you get the image? Thanks!

Adding on to what ToManyDogs said, Inkscape (another free program) has an option called "Trace Bitmap".  Just drag an image into Inkscape, hit "Path" and "Object to Path", then Path dropdown again and this time select "Trace Bitmap".  A box pops up, hit "Okay" and you will now be able to drag a bitmap line drawing of your photo off to the side.  You'll probably have to do some editing to clean it up, but I use that a LOT for low-res JPG files that have really pixelated edges, it smooths everything out and allows me to save as a larger image without too much distortion.