Old & New - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

19 hours ago, Tomanydogs said:

Hi David. Inside the posts for “Works in Progress & Tutorials” find the post called USING GIMP2 TO MAKE PATTERNS. Kris revealed his secrets to making portraits from pictures. I’ve tried it and it works very well. Travis also has some tutorials on portraits to patterns you can find them in the Resources area then Village University. 
Hope this was helpful

Irene

Thanks! I found it and have a great printout. I used Photoshop, as I have it, and it worked well. No cartoon filter, but between the filter gallery / colored pencil filter with the Threshhold adjustment layer, I have a pretty serviceable pic. I need to learn how to modify the eyes so they don't fall out -- I'm new at all of this! It gave me a great way to do lips, which I couldn't get right sketching by hand. Thanks for your help.

niece2.jpg

Edited by dman
typo

On 1/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, Travis said:

newold.png

This month's scroll saw challenge is about seeing how far we've come in our hobby.  Post a picture of your first project, and a picture of your most recent project.  This isn't about poking fun at where we began, but rather to celebrate how far we've come.  And when you post, let us know how you discovered scroll sawing.  It will be fun to see where we all got our start and where we are now.

This is my first attempt to use a scroll saw. Something pretty simple and just to see if I could do it, and to see if I'd be interested in furthering this as a hobby:249143390_SmallDog1.thumb.jpg.f5ae25a981f1ff39e392965d5ea808d7.jpg

Now, two years later, here are a few pieces I'm really happy with:

1548332432_67MustangGTA.thumb.jpg.24d03b6c963aa6a80d67483d4c20c544.jpg

Motorcycle.thumb.jpg.1dcfd9e5e0ea283d2b42b3d1d2f14c35.jpg

1312059090_SoutwestMedallion.thumb.jpg.e95ccf2fff72d3784addcb6f5ea1c2b4.jpg

The Mustang is boxed and is backlit, the motorcycle was for my son who had to sell his motorcycle, and the southwest medallion was just a personal challenge and has a 24" diameter.  

On 3/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, Fred Kile said:

This is my first attempt to use a scroll saw. Something pretty simple and just to see if I could do it, and to see if I'd be interested in furthering this as a hobby:249143390_SmallDog1.thumb.jpg.f5ae25a981f1ff39e392965d5ea808d7.jpg

Now, two years later, here are a few pieces I'm really happy with:

1548332432_67MustangGTA.thumb.jpg.24d03b6c963aa6a80d67483d4c20c544.jpg

Motorcycle.thumb.jpg.1dcfd9e5e0ea283d2b42b3d1d2f14c35.jpg

1312059090_SoutwestMedallion.thumb.jpg.e95ccf2fff72d3784addcb6f5ea1c2b4.jpg

The Mustang is boxed and is backlit, the motorcycle was for my son who had to sell his motorcycle, and the southwest medallion was just a personal challenge and has a 24" diameter.  

All very nicely done. Thanks.

I'm not really sure why I got interested in scroll sawing, I can remember cutting the bench as if it were yesterday, on a Ryobi 16" saw, single speed with pinned blades. Made for some huge entry holes...lol. I know I got the pattern from Scroller before we had the internet, perhaps I saw the pattern in a catalog.  I also included a pic of the most recent bench I did. It's half the size of the original with more detail. The big one is Cypress the smaller one is butternut.

Anyhow now I have a Delta P-20 using pinless blades. 

The Cardinal Wreath I finished today. I'm improving at sanding and shaping so now I'm going to give Intarsia a go..

Chris

IMG_20200314_224743071.jpg

IMG_20200314_185605145.jpg

IMG_20180219_112933748.jpg

15842871629067511462801581560204.jpg

Edited by Hawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Fedido said:

I know I am late in this, but the first one is a door knocker and first thing I did with a scroll saw. Just pine. The bottom is Zebra wood with teak oil finish. I really like Zebrawood and the finish is gives, almost as much as canary Wood. Anyways, enjoy.

Nicely cut!!!!  Is that a StarWars ATAT walking with the elephants, or do I need more coffee?  :) 

19 minutes ago, Fedido said:

You do not need more coffee. I made it for a Star Wars fan and thought Zebrawood from Africa would be a good choice. Thanks!

That is just AWESOMENESS!!  There's a guy in my office building who has various StarWars prints that he swaps out on his walls, the historical photos such as the Normandy landings on D-Day with Imperial Walkers on the beach, or a flight of P-51's and Xwings, a group of samurai in armor, with a stormtrooper ...love that stuff!

15 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

That is just AWESOMENESS!!  There's a guy in my office building who has various StarWars prints that he swaps out on his walls, the historical photos such as the Normandy landings on D-Day with Imperial Walkers on the beach, or a flight of P-51's and Xwings, a group of samurai in armor, with a stormtrooper ...love that stuff!

No Star Wars related, but I had a chance to talk with a gentlemen who flew a P-38 over the invasion fleet and my grandfathers head on the night of 5/6 June 44. it was one of the few moments in my life where I was speechless. 

One of the few advantages to working (slaving?) in retail was the chance to get to talk to vets.  Spoke with a guy who was a ball-turret gunner on B-24's, and made another gentleman's day by recognizing the Army Air Corps (NOT Air Force) logo on his hat and asking him what he did in the Air Corps.  He was kinda surprised I recognized the emblem, and said he flew Lightnings.  "Ooooooh, the P-38!!!  Most awesome plane ever built!"  We had a good chat.

1 hour ago, RabidAlien said:

One of the few advantages to working (slaving?) in retail was the chance to get to talk to vets.  Spoke with a guy who was a ball-turret gunner on B-24's, and made another gentleman's day by recognizing the Army Air Corps (NOT Air Force) logo on his hat and asking him what he did in the Air Corps.  He was kinda surprised I recognized the emblem, and said he flew Lightnings.  "Ooooooh, the P-38!!!  Most awesome plane ever built!"  We had a good chat.

I concur with your statement regarding P-38, but the transition to P-51's was rough as the 38's props counter rotated making the 51 harder to land as they had to compensate for the torque. straight from a dude who landed in England and on his way into the base, watched a 51 crash on landing.  

48 minutes ago, Fedido said:

I concur with your statement regarding P-38, but the transition to P-51's was rough as the 38's props counter rotated making the 51 harder to land as they had to compensate for the torque. straight from a dude who landed in England and on his way into the base, watched a 51 crash on landing.  

Read stories of many a '38 pilot who made it to the cantina that night simply because they had an extra engine.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, Jim Finn said:

I actually started  making toys, and still do, but my main interest is Double bevel inlay.  The horse is my first (which I sold) the second is my favorite  (which I gave away).

1236386496_Horse(firstinlay)2008.jpg.e0ebf24d6516dab287a162e730515695.jpg977413361_MickeyandMiniebox.thumb.jpg.5f1f702860f052bcf378daa247c019e9.jpg

Wow! I'd love to learn how you did the mice! Please contqct me if you don't mind. BEAUTIFUL! 

temp@dmasterman.com

1 hour ago, Jim Finn said:

I did the mice the same way I did the first one, the horse.  It is called "double bevel inlay" (Or marquetry)  It requires an inlay for each color is all. Six separate inlays.  One against/over the other. Like this one  with only three colors.

Did you angle the table? Use a backer board?