Hello!

Whisper

I'm from southeast Alabama. Glad to meet y'all.  I've done a lot of different crafts, but I saw a video on scroll sawing and had to have one. I just got a DeWalt 788 about a week ago and have been practicing quite a lot. I'm hoping to get really good at it. In the meantime, I love to grow food and that takes up a lot of my time especially during summer.

I'm still a little bit afraid of the saw. But so far have made a leaf shaped trivet that is passable and a segmented whale that I'm finishing off tomorrow. I'm learning from youtube videos so far.

The scroll saw is pretty exciting to me since you can make so many different things with it. I have to be learning something new all the time or I get really bored.

5 minutes ago, Gordster said:

Hello Whisper and welcome to the village..lots to learn here,so jump right in and don't  be afraid of that saw.it will be your best friend.

Thank you Gordster! I'm having a blast looking at everyone's work and all the patterns on this site. Some really beautiful work. I'm partial to intarsia, I love the way it looks.

I'm still collecting things for my sawing adventures. Today I got some nifty little magnifying glasses with led lights that fit with an elastic headband. Surprisingly, they work pretty good! And tung oil, glue, spray adhesive, contact paper, more blades. I think I'm going to try and make a bowl or a basket next, gives good practice for cutting the same lines over and over.

17 hours ago, LarryEA said:

Linda, I really like your pretty furry face. Glad you joined in. 

I've scrolled for about 20 years and enjoy it more each day. 

So many things to cut. As Dan said, or implied, you would have to

work at getting hurt with a scrollsaw

LOL That cat is so funny! I found that on a free avatar site, but I do have a cute little Persian female. I love that breed, so docile and don't climb the curtains. :)

On 1/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, Fran L said:

Welcome to the Village Linda. I've caught my finger a few times doing close cuts, didn't even draw blood most of the time. Keep practicing. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll get confidence enough to try projects that look totally impossible now and that will feel great.

Thanks, Fran. I'm not afraid of it anymore. I took off the foot because it was getting in the way too much. It's a lot more fun now than the first day I got the saw. :) 

Linda, welcome from Southern Arizona. Practice makes things a lot easier. Take your time and ask for help any time you think things seem almost impossible for you. We all love to help one another and keep your first pieces to compare your progress. Even if you feel 'you have it figured out', you will soon understand, you never stop learning at this hobby. Have fun.. that is the most important part and take a look at the videos in the university part of this site

Dick

heppnerguy