Another one from Ohio saying hello

OSU Buckeye

Just confirmed my account 2 minutes ago.  I read a bit here and thought it was sort of amusing how many folks from Ohio have recently become members.  Hope no one takes offense to my Ohio State Buckeye allegiance. I did not go to OSU but when you live in Columbus (Hilliard) being an OSU fan is almost required.  Any way....I just purchased a new scroll saw (Delta) and am just beginning to get my feet wet learning mostly from youtube videos. I am almost done with my first project  (Tree of Life) as the clear coat is drying and I have to attach a photo serving as a background to the tree itself.  My biggest learning points were that you have to make sure the pattern is really on securely all the way around as mine became unstuck at a couple of places.... though I managed to work through it.  Also I learned the importance of a sharp blade.  When my first spiral blade broke and put on a new blade it cut like butter (The wearing down of the first new blade sort of crept up on me).  I know I will learn a heck of a lot here from the experienced membership.

From a former resident of the east side (James/Maryland), welcome to the festivities.  Questions are answered, constructive criticisms are posted when asked and applause given as needed.

Blade wear is a tough topic.  I have had blades I didn't think would ever wear down and others that cut about 6 inches before I tossed it to the side.

Scroll saw work is a constant dance between speed and feed.  You will get a feel for how everything is going.  I mean the speed of the blade and how much wood you are cutting at a given time. Blades figure into that as well.  Most of us have two or three blade sizes/types we use 95% of the time.

Welcome to the Forum from a PSU fan. Oh well, I got a Delta last March myself and love it so at least you've got that going for ya :). Seriously, this is a great place to pick the brains of extremely talented scroll saw artists. I've learned a lot not only by asking questions but just reading the ideas on these different threads.

Welcome to the Village Mike.  When I was first starting out and my patterns came adrift I would hold a pencil with an eraser on the end close enough to the blade to hole the pattern down and not get my finger caught on the blade, worked well enough until I got the hang of securing the patterns.

Marg 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, OSU Buckeye said:

Just confirmed my account 2 minutes ago.  I read a bit here and thought it was sort of amusing how many folks from Ohio have recently become members.  Hope no one takes offense to my Ohio State Buckeye allegiance. I did not go to OSU but when you live in Columbus (Hilliard) being an OSU fan is almost required.  Any way....I just purchased a new scroll saw (Delta) and am just beginning to get my feet wet learning mostly from youtube videos. I am almost done with my first project  (Tree of Life) as the clear coat is drying and I have to attach a photo serving as a background to the tree itself.  My biggest learning points were that you have to make sure the pattern is really on securely all the way around as mine became unstuck at a couple of places.... though I managed to work through it.  Also I learned the importance of a sharp blade.  When my first spiral blade broke and put on a new blade 

And what a good time you'll have learning!!! Welcome friend!!

Not sure how you are attaching your patterns. I have tried several ways to do that and found , for me, I like to use a spray glue. with a very light amount of spray on the back of only the pattern and wait about a minute to apply to my blue painter's taped surface, on my wood of choice. Make sure all surfaces are free of any saw dust and that is has been first sanded before  you apply the blue painter's tape to the wood. You should no longer have the pattern come loose on you while sawing if you apply your pattern in this manner. ( You do not need to apply  the spray glue to the tape or wood. 

That said, Welcome to The Village and remember to always have fun while scrolling

Dick

heppnerguy