RBI

JTTHECLOCKMAN

15 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

J.T., how tough of a job would it be to replace the roll pins with still pins? I have 3 blade holders and so far none have been used enough to have worn/bent them. But, if it becomes a problem, I think I'll substitute a solid pin in place of the roll pin. Waddayathink?

Very easy. Just push them out. I did that with the ones that were bent and used another roll pin. If using a solid pin either, make sure the same size or drill out to fit. I used a pair of channellock pliers. I probably should have kept the bent ones and took a photo of them when I had them out and showed a before and after. Maybe you have one or a set of those fancy roll pin pliers. 😀

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

13 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Very easy. Just push them out. I did that with the ones that were bent and used another roll pin. If using a solid pin either, make sure the same size or drill out to fit. I used a pair of channellock pliers. I probably should have kept the bent ones and took a photo of them when I had them out and showed a before and after. Maybe you have one or a set of those fancy roll pin pliers. 😀

I used to have all that stuff but when we sold out, I got rid of everything that I didn't use a lot. My roll pin punch set went. But, I do have a nice set of punches. 

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

The new thumbscrews are blue cheaper plastic. The old were black and a harder plastic. Who knows maybe these will be better. I see they still are using the roll pin in the bottom clamp. At one time I heard they went to a all in one piece. As I had mentioned before here , that roll pin has a tendency to bend from loosening and tightening so many times over the years and it throws the blade off on an angle. Took me some time to figure that one out but it does. It does look though they are using a solid piece of rod instead of the hollow roll pin so this too may hold up better.  If they ordered blade clamps for me then hopefully they built some stock up but again who the heck knows over there. The top quick release replacement parts came with a red plastic thumbscrew cap. 

That back wedge of mine looks like the day I bought it. I hardly ever change tension with that thing. The only time I move that is when using thin jewelers blades. I did not even move it when using puzzle blades. I use to preload blades but after I found the bad blade clamps I stick with one that works. Takes a few seconds to swap blades and it gives my back a rest. I do sand the ends of the blades in groups though so all I have to do is grab a new blade. Need to do that when I was doing those money puzzles because those puzzle blades dull quickly and break easily when dull. I figured out a pattern of when they would dull so automatically I just changed blade. Trying to get that extra little cut was not worth the effort. 

Good luck in your order. Speak to Doug. 

My blade holders don't have a roll pin.. they are solid.. ( I think.. I'll look closer at them but pretty sure they're solid ) so maybe they changed that way back when because of issues.. and my saw was still sealed in the original box so it's not like someone changed it out before I bought the saw.. I've been meaning to look at the receipt that was in the box and see if they ordered extra clamps or if Hawk actually gave you several with the purchase of the saw..

The back wedge on mine "looked" good from the sides.. but the sides actually hang over ( wider than the arm ) the arm and the wear was actually seen once I took the mechanism apart then seen the outer portion of the wedge was the original shape.. the inner part was worn a good 1/32+ inch and rounded over off to one side.. I had problems with blades breaking with that old saw... If that gets worn enough it wont hold proper tension.. 

For what it's worth.. I took a number punch set and punched 3 and 5 on the bottom of some of my clamps.. Since I typically use number 3 and 5 the most.. If I pre-load a bunch of them and then walk out of the shop for a few days.. I can just look on the clamp to see what blade is in the clamp.  I can tell the difference from FD - Pegas and I only use the FD spiral in a 2/0 size so that's easy for me to know what the blade is.. LOL  

Edit: Well I just looked and my Ultra saw does have the roll pins but the new saw has solid pins..

Edited by kmmcrafts

you know mcmaster-carr sells the thumb screws as well as the plastic  thumb.   if i remember they are about $9-10 for fifty of them and you can get different colors too. maybe use different colors for different blades. the ones i bought are black, gray, red and yellow are  also available. they press right on the end.

doug

8 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I used to have all that stuff but when we sold out, I got rid of everything that I didn't use a lot. My roll pin punch set went. But, I do have a nice set of punches. 

Heck I use a finishing nail cut down for punching them out too. Those type tools are nice if you use them alot but many work arounds if not. 

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Heck I use a finishing nail cut down for punching them out too. Those type tools are nice if you use them alot but many work arounds if not. 

That's true. But when you sell them and have a truck full, you tend to "acquire" things that you might not ordinarily buy. I still have a $300 torque wrench that I "acquired" just for tightening the lug bolts on our 5th wheel trailer. I'll never use it. Anybody need one? I'll make them a good deal.

I use an ex-21 and to be honest I can not imagine a saw that outshines it (the new Pagas being the same saw basically).  Maybe if I were a production cutter that would be different.  RBI must be some kind of awesome saw, y'all amaze and dumbfound me with your tolerance and patience.  So kudo's for that.

Like someone said, I am old school, at the first sign of issues with a company, I go somewhere else and if that means a different brand so be it.

4 minutes ago, JimErn said:

I use an ex-21 and to be honest I can not imagine a saw that outshines it (the new Pagas being the same saw basically).  Maybe if I were a production cutter that would be different.  RBI must be some kind of awesome saw, y'all amaze and dumbfound me with your tolerance and patience.  So kudo's for that.

Like someone said, I am old school, at the first sign of issues with a company, I go somewhere else and if that means a different brand so be it.

I don't think I'd buy another new saw from them.. But since I already have them.. LOL  I'll run my saws until I need a part that I can't get then either decide if it's worth the effort to have the part made or just scrap it.. I should be able to get a minimum of 5 years out of each of my 3 Hawks doing production cutting... and probably a lot more than that... since most everything one needs for these is available at a hardware store.. and some of the parts could be made without a machine shop.. The parts that one would "have to" get from Hawk are not very high wear parts.. so one will last a long long time.. I have two saws that was new.. and one very well used which I have pretty much rebuilt.. I most likely won't ever need another saw.. but I like to "play" with other tools so I'll be buying more saws just because of that.. 

IF the parts sources for the EX was to go extinct .. not too many pieces one could just go get at a hardware store etc... so I think this is why us Hawk owners aren't all flipped out about getting rid of our saws because of parts sources etc.. It'd be a shame if Hawk closed up.. etc.. but for me.. I've got a lot of years of life left in my saws.. I'm not worried about it.. they've already paid for themselves.. There is many other bands out there to buy and use.. I also have 5 saws total.. so if I have to wait on parts.. not a big deal... Not the case for everyone.. and if Hawk runs themselves out of business so be it.. I'll move onto other saws.. Not the end of the world, LOL  

There is 30 and 40 year old Hawks out there running yet today... and parts are " somewhat " still available... When someone sees one of the very early EX saws.. first thing I read is.. stay away as parts aren't available.. you don't see many of them for sale so used parts sources are pretty dried up.. 

5 hours ago, JimErn said:

Well Jim I am going to echo what Kevin has said. My saws are the first Ultra saws that hit the market with the new square bottom blade holders. The company back then was RB Industries and they were a real tool maker. They made more than just scrollsaws. They made planers router setups and much more. They did well with these tools because they were USA made and quality made. They were well run and parts were always available. The scrollsaws were and still are some of the very best on the market and that includes the saws of today such as the Pegas. Now saws such as the Pegas is a sort of different style saw and those with the tilting head are just that different style. Does not make them better just a different way to cut angled woods. Not many people need that feature so why pay for something not needed. Titlting a table is easily done and one gets used to either method, just like with different blade types. It is what you get used to. The RBI saw is so few parts that when things wear out they are just wear points and normal for most saws. The old adage K.I.S.S. applies to scrollsaws as well. Hegner is that way also. Now the RBI saw is expensive because it is a production saw and built to last a long time. And they do. As I said here before I love my RBI saws and have made alot of money using them. They owe me nothing. But to throw away a perfectly good saw because of a few parts that should be able to obtain from a company that still produces the same saw with a few tweaks should not be asking too much. This is where the problem comes in. The take over of this company has not proven to be a well thought out event and over the years has gotten worse. Yes it is a small business and I get that but the responsibility to your customers comes first and foremost over your other ventures unless their farming stuff is that much more import than sell the company or close the doors. Not fair to string along customers and potential customers. If it closed and I needed parts and could not get them or do any workarounds, then I will unload them and move on. 

But they have you over a barrel as would most scrollsaw companies do when it comes to specialized parts and Pegas owners will find this out too. Just as Dewalt had problems. Those saws are new to the market so lets play them out and see where they stack up. Now the advantage saws like that today may use interchangeable parts so that could be an advantage. So for me just because a few parts need replacing I find it hard to throw away a $1200 saw of any kind or any tool for that matter just to move on from that company. That is why I put up with their nonsense and hopefully they either straighten things out or as I said close the doors. I feel OK either way. 

Just saw this on their site. Weather this is heartfelt or just typed words remains to be seen. I wish all who deal with this company now GOOD LUCK. Maybe we can at some time praise this saw again with much fanfare and bring back its reputation. 

Bushton Manufacturing would like to apologize for the recent delays with some of your orders, Nilus and Scott have been busy at the shop working to fix our downed machine so we can get everyones orders out. We ask your patience and understanding while we work through this to get you the parts you need to keep making sawdust.

We also have a new CSR in the office! Adrianna is full time and she also brings her son to the office, so we apologize for any background noise! 

Thank you for choosing Hawk!

My intention when I started my attack on RBI was purely frustration and continues to be. I came here with a place to express my rage and maybe inform a few people as well. I know my posts on this may have pushed some limits here and Travis has stated as such. I apologize if they crossed some lines and i know this is becoming a topic that to many has probably become boring and unreadable. With that said this should be my last post on this topic and hopefully anyone else who uses RBI saws can find peace with this company as they hopefully get things together. 
Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Well Jim I am going to echo what Kevin has said. My saws are the first Ultra saws that hit the market with the new square bottom blade holders. The company back then was RB Industries and they were a real tool maker. They made more than just scrollsaws. They made planers router setups and much more. They did well with these tools because they were USA made and quality made. They were well run and parts were always available. The scrollsaws were and still are some of the very best on the market and that includes the saws of today such as the Pegas. Now saws such as the Pegas is a sort of different style saw and those with the tilting head are just that different style. Does not make them better just a different way to cut angled woods. Not many people need that feature so why pay for something not needed. Titlting a table is easily done and one gets used to either method, just like with different blade types. It is what you get used to. The RBI saw is so few parts that when things wear out they are just wear points and normal for most saws. The old adage K.I.S.S. applies to scrollsaws as well. Hegner is that way also. Now the RBI saw is expensive because it is a production saw and built to last a long time. And they do. As I said here before I love my RBI saws and have made alot of money using them. They owe me nothing. But to throw away a perfectly good saw because of a few parts that should be able to obtain from a company that still produces the same saw with a few tweaks should not be asking too much. This is where the problem comes in. The take over of this company has not proven to be a well thought out event and over the years has gotten worse. Yes it is a small business and I get that but the responsibility to your customers comes first and foremost over your other ventures unless their farming stuff is that much more import than sell the company or close the doors. Not fair to string along customers and potential customers. If it closed and I needed parts and could not get them or do any workarounds, then I will unload them and move on. 

But they have you over a barrel as would most scrollsaw companies do when it comes to specialized parts and Pegas owners will find this out too. Just as Dewalt had problems. Those saws are new to the market so lets play them out and see where they stack up. Now the advantage saws like that today may use interchangeable parts so that could be an advantage. So for me just because a few parts need replacing I find it hard to throw away a $1200 saw of any kind or any tool for that matter just to move on from that company. That is why I put up with their nonsense and hopefully they either straighten things out or as I said close the doors. I feel OK either way. 

Just saw this on their site. Weather this is heartfelt or just typed words remains to be seen. I wish all who deal with this company now GOOD LUCK. Maybe we can at some time praise this saw again with much fanfare and bring back its reputation. 

Bushton Manufacturing would like to apologize for the recent delays with some of your orders, Nilus and Scott have been busy at the shop working to fix our downed machine so we can get everyones orders out. We ask your patience and understanding while we work through this to get you the parts you need to keep making sawdust.

We also have a new CSR in the office! Adrianna is full time and she also brings her son to the office, so we apologize for any background noise! 

Thank you for choosing Hawk!

My intention when I started my attack on RBI was purely frustration and continues to be. I came here with a place to express my rage and maybe inform a few people as well. I know my posts on this may have pushed some limits here and Travis has stated as such. I apologize if they crossed some lines and i know this is becoming a topic that to many has probably become boring and unreadable. With that said this should be my last post on this topic and hopefully anyone else who uses RBI saws can find peace with this company as they hopefully get things together. 

Thanks J.T. I hope they get their stuff together too. My first scroll saw back in 1985 was a RBI Hawk. I never really used it and ended up selling it to my neighbor who still has it. It now lives in Tennessee. When I bought it, I really had no idea what I was going to use it for but I just knew I wanted one. It sat in my garage for a long time. My point though is this, the saws have not changed all that much over the years but the things that did change weren't done to cheapen the saws. They were definite upgrades and improvements. It's a shame that the owners of the company were never able to make money with the product. I hope that at some point the owners, whoever they may be, will find a way to make this saw profitable and keep the great product moving forward. The notice from Bushton that you quoted gives us all hope that they will find a way to separate the Hawk Mfg. from their farming operation. I have my own feelings about how to go about it but I am not them. I only want to wish them the best of luck and hope they are able to make a go of it.

29 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks J.T. I hope they get their stuff together too. My first scroll saw back in 1985 was a RBI Hawk. I never really used it and ended up selling it to my neighbor who still has it. It now lives in Tennessee. When I bought it, I really had no idea what I was going to use it for but I just knew I wanted one. It sat in my garage for a long time. My point though is this, the saws have not changed all that much over the years but the things that did change weren't done to cheapen the saws. They were definite upgrades and improvements. It's a shame that the owners of the company were never able to make money with the product. I hope that at some point the owners, whoever they may be, will find a way to make this saw profitable and keep the great product moving forward. The notice from Bushton that you quoted gives us all hope that they will find a way to separate the Hawk Mfg. from their farming operation. I have my own feelings about how to go about it but I am not them. I only want to wish them the best of luck and hope they are able to make a go of it.

I bet you probably don't remember what you paid for that first Hawk (new?).. My take on their saws is that they are cheap priced for what you get.. Back in 1998 that Hawk Ultra receipt says $1500... same price my new BM-26 cost last year.. Many things improved on the new saw.. A20 inch Hawk is only $1200 so size comparison to a EX etc .. and much better quality..

My first DW788 with stand and light was $349 back in 2008.. That set up now runs nearly $600 and they cheapened it up.. 

You buy a new Pegas or EX type saw in the 20" version and pay nearly $800 - 900 ish? and it last for a production guy like me.. Maybe 4-6 years and then it's ready for a set of bearings etc for a $200 ish repair bill.. while the Hawk still needs nothing but a few drops of oil.. IF I do need a bearing.. it's only 4 bearings in the whole saw.. and maybe $25 in parts that I can run the the local hardware to pick up.. 30 minutes to change them out.. not one hour to take it apart and then chase down bearings and sleeves online and then pressing out / in the 20 bearings etc.. 

I'm not saying the EX types are not a good saw... I'm just saying they aren't built to do production type stuff like a Hawk and Hegner is..

Edited by kmmcrafts

39 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I bet you probably don't remember what you paid for that first Hawk (new?).. My take on their saws is that they are cheap priced for what you get.. Back in 1998 that Hawk Ultra receipt says $1500... same price my new BM-26 cost last year.. Many things improved on the new saw.. A20 inch Hawk is only $1200 so size comparison to a EX etc .. and much better quality..

My first DW788 with stand and light was $349 back in 2008.. That set up now runs nearly $600 and they cheapened it up.. 

You buy a new Pegas or EX type saw in the 20" version and pay nearly $800 - 900 ish? and it last for a production guy like me.. Maybe 4-6 years and then it's ready for a set of bearings etc for a $200 ish repair bill.. while the Hawk still needs nothing but a few drops of oil.. IF I do need a bearing.. it's only 4 bearings in the whole saw.. and maybe $25 in parts that I can run the the local hardware to pick up.. 30 minutes to change them out.. not one hour to take it apart and then chase down bearings and sleeves online and then pressing out / in the 20 bearings etc.. 

I'm not saying the EX types are not a good saw... I'm just saying they aren't built to do production type stuff like a Hawk and Hegner is..

You are right about the longevity of the saws Kevin. Both the Hegner and the Hawk saws are promoted as "production" saws. As to the price I paid back in 85, if I recall correctly, with tax and all I paid about $600. I picked it up at the woodworking show in Colorado Springs and the sales tax at that time was 6%. It was a 2 speed saw that required moving a belt from one groove to another on the pulleys. And it was a tedious operation to change blades. I think that might have been the turnoff for me and why I never really "wanted" to use the saw. When compared to the newer/newest Hawks, it's quite a bit of improvements over the 35 years. But, I think a lot of the original parts might still be common on the different models over the years. There is really no reason for this manufacturer/seller to not make money on these saws. They just have to make up their minds to whether they WANT to be in the scroll saw business or not. The marketing side takes care of itself. All they have to do is get busy and MAKE the darn things and keep up with parts and production. It's a shame to see such a fine product being so badly managed.

From my time working with them, I dont' think all parts require a wait.  From what I understand, they do larger "runs" on specific parts.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to do all the setup for something, and only do a few parts.  And some things they have a excess of, from the RBI days.  For example, if your saw came with short legs, they still have an abundance of the longer legs in storage, painted and finished by RBI.  You can get those pretty quickly.  Clamp knobs and the most common components, I think they do larger runs with, when their machines are working.

I think there are things to be concerned with, but just saying, there is a good chance they have the clamp knobs and that type of thing.

Edited by hotshot

I looked the other day when I was cleaning the shop, which is finally done. That took about a month to get all cleaned along with the game room but did need it for sure. I did not find the receipt but I do know I bought it at a woodworking show and in fact bought both at a show. One was the show model and got a good deal on it. The other 220 was just a show price but I am betting it was about $1000 with light and foot switch. That was the package back then. They ran out of shirts so that upset me. 😀 Back in those days every vendor had shirts or some sort of thank you gift. Those days are over. I bought my Hegner that way too. It was the one used at the show and again just foot pedal came with that one. 

To address Hotshot, they did not have any blade clamps or quick release kits when I ordered mine 5 months ago. Hoping they stock piled a few. They take up very little space on a shelf so that is not the reason. Money is their problem. They had problems with that machine when Kevin bought his saw last year so again tired of hearing excuses. They used that one in their message on their site. Well will see if things improve. The RBI, Hegner and Delta P20 were the work horses and best production saws that were made. I had no experience of using Ernie Mellons saw the Eclipse but did try it at a show once. Not my cup of tea but that saw could have been a winner also.  The Excalibur is labeled as a production saw but read too many failures with it. Time will tell on this Pegas saw. 

I truly feel that the simplicity of the Hegner, Hawk, and PS machines lend themselves to very little problems with wear and tear. The other machines are all of the design of the Dewalt/Excalibur with many moving parts and bearings/sleeves and arms have many more opportunities for failure along with the motors and circuit boards. At some point, I will end up with another Hegner but the right deal has not presented itself yet. 

• 1 year later...

This pushed me away from a new hawk.  Maybe it’s time I engineer a new All American made saw and focus on quality, consistency, durability and reliability.  And a beautiful saw none the less.  Either you farm or run a business.  You can’t state open certain hours and have no customer service. Farm or manufacture.  I have had my own problems over the years getting wrong parts and mis machined parts.  I got one of the new barrel deals installed in my upper arm on one saw I wore out and my arm came back with that barrel almost 22 degrees from where it should be.  It took a total of 8 weeks to get it done the first time and another 3 weeks to have them replace my arm with a new one.  I just thought it was me for the longest time.  I just thought maybe they were slammed but now After hearing other owners it seems we need a new maker out there.   Let me think over if I want to create a new American made saw and compete.  

22 hours ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

This pushed me away from a new hawk.  Maybe it’s time I engineer a new All American made saw and focus on quality, consistency, durability and reliability.  And a beautiful saw none the less.  Either you farm or run a business.  You can’t state open certain hours and have no customer service. Farm or manufacture.  I have had my own problems over the years getting wrong parts and mis machined parts.  I got one of the new barrel deals installed in my upper arm on one saw I wore out and my arm came back with that barrel almost 22 degrees from where it should be.  It took a total of 8 weeks to get it done the first time and another 3 weeks to have them replace my arm with a new one.  I just thought it was me for the longest time.  I just thought maybe they were slammed but now After hearing other owners it seems we need a new maker out there.   Let me think over if I want to create a new American made saw and compete.  

I'd love to be involved if I wasn't too old and 3000 miles away. Go for it!

23 hours ago, SCROLLERNATION said:

I'd love to see another USA made saw come to the market. I do think it'd be quite tough to get enough business to make a living on just scroll saws which is why I believe the folks at Bushton do farming and have their hands into a few other things.. Scroll saws are not super popular to begin with.. and 98% of folks look at the "cheap price" and not the "poor quality" when saw shopping. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'd love to see another USA made saw come to the market. I do think it'd be quite tough to get enough business to make a living on just scroll saws which is why I believe the folks at Bushton do farming and have their hands into a few other things.. Scroll saws are not super popular to begin with.. and 98% of folks look at the "cheap price" and not the "poor quality" when saw shopping. 

True.  And cnc has taken over.  But if my saws ship for free and I back the product up things should go somewhat smooth.  One change I would make is that the saws would be sent in wood crates.  I know it adds weight but then if someone needed service the saw could be shipped without damage or worry.  My saws wont be just machined aluminum and formed steel.  I have some other ideas in mind.  😎 and those I keep to myself for now.  

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, SCROLLERNATION said:

I am seriously looking at the BM20 and have been in contact with Bushton thru email since Wednesday September 29 2021. I had a couple of questions I needed answered and had a quick reply. There seems to be ALOT of negative comments here. 

So should I wait or proceed ?

Thank you BUY AMERICAN

Mark