Newbie From SC

Fedido

Hello all. I acquired a scroll saw back in October due to my neighbor moving. So I am just starting out. I have seen different work on here and realize I am light years away from you guys. I did however push my abilities recently. I was asked to make a sign for the front of our building as a gift. I have never tried a project so big before. It is out of the weight class for a scroll saw, so I used a jig saw. I cut out all the letters ad numbers as well as the differ ent suits for the cards.  I started just before Christmas and finished it about a week and a half ago. Learned so much from the project. Anyways, I look forward to learning from your experience. To add another degree of difficultly to my work, my Jig saw is about 15 years old, Table saw is a thirty year old Delta that I just replaced the motor and the scroll saw is a 13 inch Craftsman that as far as I can tell, from around 1990 as well. In other words, I am kicking old school! 

As far as Scolling, I have gradually went from animals like cats from pine and painting them black (seems to be enjoyed by all that see them) to the California below. I used Oak in this one, but also have done some in Western Cedar. It was a present for a a mentor of mine who is 95 years old, fighter pilot in World War Two, Korea and was in Vietnam. He lives in Cali now. It made his family happy and it allowed me to expand my horizons. Thank you for letting me into this community and again, look forward to learning from you guys. 

Hendo

843892386_Cal(2).thumb.jpg.761fa9df9251cb565e0121cd22dfb77e.jpg

sign (2).jpg

From an infrequent visitor to the Palmetto State, a big welcome from Indiana.

You will be surprised just how far you can go with just a little practice and determination. (I'm living proof that you don't have to be gifted to enjoy time at the saw. The gifted are the pattern designers--I'm just a hack with wood and some saw blades.)

Thank you all for the welcomes and encouragement. Like I have seen here in the forums, no photo=never happened. The sign will be displayed in front of the building I work in so I will have to stare at the flaws every day, but I am learning that is a part of woodworking. Jim McDonald, you are 100% correct. My job is to make sawdust and whatever wood is left, its up to the wife to figure it out. 

Hendo

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to The Village. It looks like you have the perfect mentality and desire to become a great scroller really quickly. We all started where you are in scrolling and you will soon see that you will progress in ability with each piece you try. The most important thing to accomplish your desires is not so much the machine you are working on but rather the blades. The blades that are purchased in the big box stores are not what you want. If your saw will take none pinned blades, all the better. You will need to make your blade purchases on line. If you know not where....just ask. Nice having you join our world wide family

Dick

heppnerguy