Downsizing from SC

BKind2Anmls

Hello everyone.

I've been woodworking for about 20 years but, because I have a more-than-full-time job, have not had the time to dedicate myself to becoming an expert in anything...I have dabbled in everything. I posted a question in the Questions forum to ask for some assistance in narrowing things down. 

The beauty of marquetry projects is what got me interested in woodworking, but circumstances required me to learn to build cabinets, tables, etc. and the scroll saw sat neglected. Now that I am moving into a small house with a small shop I am going to focus solely on the scroll saw.  I have amassed a great veneer collection over the years and am looking forward to putting it to use. Downsizing from a very large shop to a small one...that will be a challenge.

If anyone is near Camden, SC and would like to exchange a shop visit...let me know! I enjoy talking to fellow woodworkers. I am also a member of a local animal rescue organization.

Susan Schultz  

Welcome to the forum.  Marquetry, is really fascinating to me and something I would really like to work at some day.  You might check into the American Marquetry Assoc.  http://www.americanmarquetrysociety.com/index.html

there may be members that live near you.  I know you do not need a lot of big woodworking tools to do it.

Edited by Scrappile

Since I do 99% of my work on the patio, I say I have a shop as big the outdoors--even though I only use about 20 square feet. Makes it a seasonal endeavor here in Central Indiana where the temperature was hovering around 1°F here this morning--but we carry on when we can.

So, greeting from the frozen prairie and best wishes as you acclimate to a smaller space.

Susan,

I am glad I found this post. I started working with wood about six months ago and I do live near Camden. I am on the south west side of Sumter. So it is about 45 minutes, but closer than most. I work inside a two car garage with two cars in it. I would like to communicate more and incidentally, One guy that I refer to for guidance locally (before I found this site) lives in Camden. Up there is the holy grail of butchers with Ole Timely! Anyways, look forward to your response. 

Hendo