Seems Like More Than $10 In Materials

kmmcrafts

Hopefully they meant to add a few 0's to that.. Added photo just in case this expires before you get to see it.. Perfect example of why Craigslist isn't the greatest place to sell scroll work these days..  I used to list stuff on there but only ever got a couple sales from it.. Not many folks on there looking for crafts and artwork etc..

https://nashville.craigslist.org/clt/d/handmade-scrollwork-tabletop-clock/7063143502.html

00O0O_kyAxu4eRC0J_1200x900.jpg

00909_6t8IQ3ymSkT_1200x900.jpg

Well I emailed the guy just to make sure it wasn't a mistake in pricing.  He responded already this is his responce:

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for the note. This clock was made by our former neighbor several years ago who is desceased. He scrolled many pieces. The price and listing is here to have it go to someone who would love it and to be honest it’s been up for so long I forgot about it."

I suggested he try some other venue to sale it.  But if some one wanted to pick it up, they maybe able to turn a profit. He really just wants it to go to someone that would enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Well I emailed the guy just to make sure it wasn't a mistake in pricing.  He responded already this is his responce:

"Hi Paul,

Thanks for the note. This clock was made by our former neighbor several years ago who is desceased. He scrolled many pieces. The price and listing is here to have it go to someone who would love it and to be honest it’s been up for so long I forgot about it."

I suggested he try some other venue to sale it.  But if some one wanted to pick it up, they maybe able to turn a profit. He really just wants it to go to someone that would enjoy it.

Paul, why not buy it and pay to have it shipped? I'm thinking that would be nice to have.

I thought the design looked familiar. Several years ago when the berry basket was going out of business they ran a special sale. All of their patterns on a cd or download for $45 . Best $45 I ever spent as most all my clock patters are from them and I haven’t even scratched the surface of all those patterns. There is a few of these bigger project clocks in this set. But I’ve not got to make any yet. 

55 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

"Hi Paul,

I kinda had a feeling that it was a seller that didn’t make the clock. Heck the clock insert cost that much. Lol

It is a beautiful clock and well done. I can see this same thing happening when I pass on too. I am sure whatever family members are left will be wanting to get rid of the many many projects I have laying around and just to get them to a decent home instead of throwing out. The insert is worth more than the $10. 

Thanks for sharing, Kevin,
Yeah, the price of the inserts alone is the main reason I haven't made any clocks like that.
I know I couldn't get a good price selling them around here and my wife would probably just
see it as another dust collector if I made one for myself.

I would still like to make a wooden gear clock just to know that I can do it and the novelty factor but,
who knows if I will ever take the time to do it.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Beautiful,  just doesn't fit the modern computer world. I always get the inking to do another "heirloom clock", but then common sense hits me. No one wants them, even my wife. Might of mentioned this before, but I have a set of antique china that was insured back in the 80's for $22,000. Couldn't get $300 for the china today. Oh well!

It's long been a dream of mine to build some of the classic, big fretwork clocks, like the Apostles clock or the Chimes of Normandy clock.  As time goes by and I don't get around to it, I can't escape the question of what in the world would I do with such a thing.  I don't have room for one and neither do my kids.  That isn't something you just make to sell, unless it's for a commission job, which I doubt ever happens.  Certainly not something you could ever sell at the local craft fair.

28 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

It's long been a dream of mine to build some of the classic, big fretwork clocks, like the Apostles clock or the Chimes of Normandy clock.  As time goes by and I don't get around to it, I can't escape the question of what in the world would I do with such a thing.  I don't have room for one and neither do my kids.  That isn't something you just make to sell, unless it's for a commission job, which I doubt ever happens.  Certainly not something you could ever sell at the local craft fair.

There was a time and a place for those type clocks for sure. As time goes by the fad and the decor changes throughout and things just do not sell as well. I made many projects from the Berry Basket catalogs and I mean many. They were alot of ornate Victorian style work and that has fallen out of favor. That is one reason I stopped making many of the past projects I did because I could not sell them. I still have quite afew in storage but that is for family members to decide what to do with them when I am no longer here. But the Berry Basket patterns got me started in this crazy world of scrolling. Those collapsible baskets were my very first projects and made many of them. Karen and Rick were great designers and really helped me make alot of money back in the day. Loved their work but today it just does not play. There are some pieces that still get by but people look for more modern use projects. I believe I too have the Dome clock pattern somewhere burried amongst the many patterns I have and it was on my to do list to just say I did one. But when you break it all down it is just scrolling flat panels and stacking. You do need room to display and store it for sure. 

I'll take a different tack now Bill. For most of us, this is a hobby. If you're into fretwork, don't rationalize yourself out of any project whether it would sell or be valuable to anyone except to yourself in the true joy of making it come forth. Yes, you might spend $100 plus in lumber, spend 200 hours in cutting and kick your scroll saw a few times. But in the end, it's that sense of accomplishment that these types of projects can lead to whether it ends up in a dumpster or the art museum. So maybe you should go for it. Most regrets are for the things that one doesn't do.

21 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Hopefully they meant to add a few 0's to that.. Added photo just in case this expires before you get to see it.. Perfect example of why Craigslist isn't the greatest place to sell scroll work these days..  I used to list stuff on there but only ever got a couple sales from it.. Not many folks on there looking for crafts and artwork etc..

https://nashville.craigslist.org/clt/d/handmade-scrollwork-tabletop-clock/7063143502.html

00O0O_kyAxu4eRC0J_1200x900.jpg

00909_6t8IQ3ymSkT_1200x900.jpg

I tried to contact this seller last night with an email. I offered to buy the clock if they would pack and ship and charge me but so far, I've not heard anything back. I can't get their phone number to come up.

2 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

I'll take a different tack now Bill. For most of us, this is a hobby. If you're into fretwork, don't rationalize yourself out of any project whether it would sell or be valuable to anyone except to yourself in the true joy of making it come forth. Yes, you might spend $100 plus in lumber, spend 200 hours in cutting and kick your scroll saw a few times. But in the end, it's that sense of accomplishment that these types of projects can lead to whether it ends up in a dumpster or the art museum. So maybe you should go for it. Most regrets are for the things that one doesn't do.

I very much agree with this..Me being a seller though, and not a hobby seller.  I find that hard to do. The stuff I make helps put food in my kids mouths.. etc etc.. so it's not worthy for me to make something of this nature..

I get a kick out of folks saying they are just hobby scrollers then they get mad when someone tries to bargain with them at a craft show or they can't get squat or their items... wasn't the purpose of the hobby and hobby selling to get rid of the things you make.. and to mingle with the other sellers and customers.. 

Guess for me it is just the pleasure of making things.  I've always like building, and really have made no money from doing it.  I guess my house, I have made from it,,,, 38 years of a comfortable place to live and it should be worth something.   But, I like building, have not regrets other than I would feel good is someone wanted some of it.  But no matter, the kids can clean it all out when I am in the big workshop in the sky.   They will have a heck of a wiener roast I guess.  Right now I am putting together the bell tower clock that is a real challenge for me to get it together.  Once done, well there it will sit and I go on to the next project.

I finally got a reply to my second email and they asked me for my address in order to calculate the cost of shipping. They reaffirmed that they just want it to go to a person who will appreciate what it took to make it. I told them a bit about myself and the SSV and attached a picture of a couple of my completed projects so they would know that I know what is involved in the making/creating a work of art such as that clock. I just hope the shipping isn't out of this world. 

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I very much agree with this..Me being a seller though, and not a hobby seller.  I find that hard to do. The stuff I make helps put food in my kids mouths.. etc etc.. so it's not worthy for me to make something of this nature..

I get a kick out of folks saying they are just hobby scrollers then they get mad when someone tries to bargain with them at a craft show or they can't get squat or their items... wasn't the purpose of the hobby and hobby selling to get rid of the things you make.. and to mingle with the other sellers and customers.. 

I will say this Kevin you really know how to push my buttons and it is the same ones over and over and over again. WE GET IT YOU SELL ON LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I am done here. I can not read this stuff any more here from someone who has no idea what he is talking about. I deleted the rest of my post. I can not take any more.    

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

51 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I finally got a reply to my second email and they asked me for my address in order to calculate the cost of shipping. They reaffirmed that they just want it to go to a person who will appreciate what it took to make it. I told them a bit about myself and the SSV and attached a picture of a couple of my completed projects so they would know that I know what is involved in the making/creating a work of art such as that clock. I just hope the shipping isn't out of this world. 

It is 15"w x 22"h x 6" deep, so not real small, but should not weigh a whole lot. 

Edited by Scrappile

I'm just going by what is said in the description at Cherry Tree.  They have  some neat looking clocks there.  But after the one I am working on now, I don't know.  Hard to clamp things at all the different angles some of these clock have.  I have go to figure out some better clamps for making these things.

Well I'm disappointed.. my set of patterns I bought years ago doesn't have a clock with that name.. I didn't go through and look at each individual designs so maybe it's under a different name.. or somewhere in this 1800 pattern set that I bought years ago.. It's kinda cumbersome to look through them as I have to open up each file and scroll though the hundreds of designs.. LOL.. There seems to be about 10 large clock patterns of this nature though..

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I will say this Kevin you really know how to push my buttons and it is the same ones over and over and over again. WE GET IT YOU SELL ON LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I am done here. I can not read this stuff any more here from someone who has no idea what he is talking about. I deleted the rest of my post. I can not take any more.    

Wow JT, Hey do us both a favor.. hover your mouse over my name on the left side of the screen, a pop-up shows up and click "ignore - user" then a screen pops up where you can check mark what to ignore.. you can choose posting topics PM's etc etc.. Just click them all for me under my name.. Then the site will hide all content of mine from you.. There, this way you don't have to read the stuff I put out there that I have no idea what i'm talking about.. and you won't get your buttons pushed because you won't see any my nonsense.. and nobody else has to read your angry replies aimed at me.. I'm just trying to be the nice guy really and not push your buttons.. But somehow anything I post you get pissed at me in some way shape or form.. so just do the ignore thing.. for everyone's sake.. because they don't want to read this crap.

I'm glad you edited the post and took out a lot of your reply.. nobody here wants to read the trash.

Thank you and have a great day.

Sorry folks, Back to the topic now...