SWIFTY - Toy Bunny Project

baggetta

Here's a little project you might want to work on for the kids.  It's SWIFTY the SUPER WOODEN INCREDIBLY FAST TRAVELING YEASTERBUNNY.  Ok, so I went a little far on the name.  But this easy to make project will thrill the little ones with the way he glides along.  I cut mine from 1/2" plywood.  You can cut the wheels on the scroll saw, but I found it easier to cut them with a 3" hole saw and then use the scroll saw to cut the eggs on the wheels.  The hole saw will also give you a nice 1/4" center on the wheels to insert and glue a dowel (about 3 1/2" long for each set of wheels).  Needed something to keep Swifty centered so I used little straps cut from duct tape.  In the pattern book I show some pictures of how it was assembled and there is also an alternate set of wheels which can be cut easier as well.  Also put up a short video on YouTube showing SWIFTY in action. Have some fun and let me know how it goes. Free pattern on my Free Page

Swifty Image Small.jpg

Neat toy. I like the idea, the design and the style too.

I also sometimes just use a smaller hole saw to make the wheel cutouts, depending on the effect that I want. 

I have found that the 1/4 axels are too small and the kids twist them and they break.  Oh, I also cheat and use a candle stub to wax the axels so they run smoother. Just rubbed in hard to the axels. 

I use 3/8th for better life.  But you do have to re-drill the hole in the wheels.