Original Excalibur in Europe; under what name?

Lisette

HI! I've been trying to wrap my head around the developments of the Excalibur brand/manufacturing, and I love this post where it is laid out very clearly what the situation is for both Canada and the US. However, I'm Europe based. I've read about the Axminster and Pegas, but the text suggests that these are not the original designs, although they are manufactured by the same manufacturer as the original Excalibur. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Background: Eventually I want the best scroll saw out there :) At this moment I'm interested in the 30'' model, but only because of investing in something with growth potential. It might as well become a 21''. Any thoughts on the best scroll saw out there (models available in Europe) are also welcome. Thanks!

On 4/26/2020 at 1:33 PM, Lisette said:

HI! I've been trying to wrap my head around the developments of the Excalibur brand/manufacturing, and I love this post where it is laid out very clearly what the situation is for both Canada and the US. However, I'm Europe based. I've read about the Axminster and Pegas, but the text suggests that these are not the original designs, although they are manufactured by the same manufacturer as the original Excalibur. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Background: Eventually I want the best scroll saw out there :) At this moment I'm interested in the 30'' model, but only because of investing in something with growth potential. It might as well become a 21''. Any thoughts on the best scroll saw out there (models available in Europe) are also welcome. Thanks!

I ca't speak for others but it seems to me that the limiting factor on any saw you buy will be the type of power you have. We here in the U.S. have 120 volt alternating current. In England it's something else. I have no idea what you may have. There is a long explanation somewhere here on SSV all about how the Excalibur has transitioned over the years. First they were made in Canada but then they were made in Taiwan. The much cheaper made EX's that are now made in China are marketed under a couple of names. You have to be very careful what you buy and it's vintage. I have two EX's. The 21 inch one was made in 2010 in Canada by General International. My 16" one was made in Taiwan also by G.I. but in their offshore plant. The Pegas is being made in the Taiwan plant and under the watchful eye of Swiss company that is building them. These will be great saws but I don't know if they have motors/electronics that will be compatible with what you have. Your safest best might be to locate a Hegner that was built for European use. Best of luck in your search. Do a lot of reading on whatever saw you decide on.

Asking for the best saw will get answers based on personal experiences. A Hegner owner will say they are the best (I personally don't like them.) Pegas owners will say they are the best, ask me and I will answer an old Delta 40-540 or 40-560 and on it goes. Look what's available where you live and the electrics will be OK,  Europe uses nominal 230 V  electric supply it's the plugs and sockets that vary. Good luck in your search. 

On 4/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, Lisette said:

......I'm Europe based. I've read about the Axminster and Pegas, but the text suggests that these are not the original designs.....

The Axminster EX type saws are made in the same factory as King, Jet, Seyco, Pegas, and Carbatec.  Seyco and Jet are further from the original designs than the others.  Pegas has slightly deviated.  King and Axminster, and Carbatec are probably the closest of any of the saws to the original designs.  I will note that Axminster and Carbatec have other saws besides the Excalibur types.

Edited by hotshot