Fret Box

munzieb

1 hour ago, Badgerboy said:

Wow Bernd that is beautiful and impeccable cutting.  I hope you are well and happy Father’s Day!

Thanks Todd, hope you are doing well also. Fret work is always attractive but when cutting 14 of the same pattern it can get a little repetitive. Even though the feet are small, they were more challenging to design and cut. The top is a little warped and I may have to revisit the hinges to work the alignment.

Thanks Dave. I've got the hinge thing down pat. I posted my technique in an earlier post but 2 sided tape makes it easy. I'll mark off the outside edges of the hinge on the lower base. The hinges I use are 1/8" thick at the hinge. I actually mounted the lower hinge before I glued the box together, that way I can do all my cuts on the scroll saw. I cut down the 1/8" on the sides and trim out the recess for the hinge. I use the 2 sided tape to hold the hinge in place and drill out for the screws. I'll pre tap the screws with wax and remove the screws. Next, I assemble the sides. I remove the tape on the lower hinge and replace with a smaller piece. I put a piece of 1/16" wood inside the sides of the hinge so that it stands flush and then apply a full size piece of 2 sided tape on top of that. I'll properly position the box frame on top box top and make sure the tape on the top of the hinge adheres to the box top. I use an exacto knife to lift the hinge off the base. They will be properly aligned and I pre drill the mounting screws making sure it doesn't go all the way through by marking the drill with blue tape. I will pre tap the holes with wax. Since the top is 1/4" and screws are 1/4". I'll hold the screw with a vice grip and grind them down to the right size to fit. This actually goes pretty quick once you do it a few times. I've also done this with piano stop hinges also.

• 6 months later...