Hello From Long Island

RoseBoard

Hi Everyone! 

I am so happy I stumbled upon this group. From what I have read so far everyone seems so friendly and eager to help. I am super new to scrolling. I recently purchased a cheap scroll saw from harbor freight tools to start and I have been pretty happy with it. The last time I used a scroll saw was in my 8th grade wood shop class. So luckily I went in with a little knowledge, but definitely not much. I am super excited to learn new things from this group and see what everyone is making!

I am from Long Island and my full time job is an animal trainer at the aquarium. In my free time I make wood signs and other home decor which I sell on Etsy and I am excited to use the scroll saw to enhance my pieces.

Here is the first thing I cut on my saw....

61514554448__4C67B283-59A7-4305-8DD7-F272B3AC2C5A.thumb.JPG.28fddc409ab31276b177a53450f814f6.JPG

A little humpback whale which was later stained and covered in beach wave resin art!

I haven't looked through the templates and all the forums too much, but I thought it would be super fun if someone made a scroll saw 30 day challenge. A new small template to cut each day of the month to help beginners practice different techniques. If anyone has any fun ideas to include or know if something like this exists I would love to see it!

Thanks guy!

Welcome to the village. Look forward to your participation. If you haven’t found Steve Good’s blog yet, I highly recommend you check it out. He has been sharing free scroll saw patterns Almost daily for years now. Also has lots of tips and info for new scrollers. Recommend you spend time looking back through his many blog post. You can also search it. You can find it here. 

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

and all of his patterns can easily be found here in his pattern catalog which is easily searched. https://www.stevedgood.com/catalog/index.php

On 7/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, RoseBoard said:

Hi Everyone! 

I am so happy I stumbled upon this group. From what I have read so far everyone seems so friendly and eager to help. I am super new to scrolling. I recently purchased a cheap scroll saw from harbor freight tools to start and I have been pretty happy with it. The last time I used a scroll saw was in my 8th grade wood shop class. So luckily I went in with a little knowledge, but definitely not much. I am super excited to learn new things from this group and see what everyone is making!

I am from Long Island and my full time job is an animal trainer at the aquarium. In my free time I make wood signs and other home decor which I sell on Etsy and I am excited to use the scroll saw to enhance my pieces.

Here is the first thing I cut on my saw....

61514554448__4C67B283-59A7-4305-8DD7-F272B3AC2C5A.thumb.JPG.28fddc409ab31276b177a53450f814f6.JPG

A little humpback whale which was later stained and covered in beach wave resin art!

I haven't looked through the templates and all the forums too much, but I thought it would be super fun if someone made a scroll saw 30 day challenge. A new small template to cut each day of the month to help beginners practice different techniques. If anyone has any fun ideas to include or know if something like this exists I would love to see it!

Thanks guy!

For your information we have a Scroll saw club "Long island Scroll Saw association" L.I.S.A.  it is part of the long island woodworking club. https://liwoodworkers.org/

I was the president of the group for a few years.  We have a real cross section of members new and a few that have been scrolling for over 70 years. All glad to share their knowledge and skills.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to The Village. You have stated that you have done some exploration here but I am sure there are a lot of things you have not yet seen. The people  here are friendly and always willing to help with anything they can. The most important thing I  can tell you is, log on often, post to others when you see something they have posted and if you do that, it will be only a very short time before you feel like you not only have acquired a lot of new friends but you have also have a new, world wide family.

Dick

heppnerguy