23 GA Pin Nailer

OzarkSawdust

I guess I should start stacking my work so I have copies. I hate trying to tape or glue several layers together, so I want to use a pin nailer.

1. What 23 GA Pin Nailer do you use, and would you buy that one again?

2. What is the min. & max thickness that your gun holds well for scroll sawing?

7 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Yep, me too.  Some harbor freight stuff does actually work well.

Especially the big 20lb sledge hammer when the other things I buy don't work.. That thing hasn't failed me yet.. though I do worry the head might fly off the handle so I don't swing at the other junk as hard as I'd like, my luck it'd fly off and hit one of my USA made tools.. and bust the hammer head.😂 

30 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Especially the big 20lb sledge hammer when the other things I buy don't work.. That thing hasn't failed me yet.. though I do worry the head might fly off the handle so I don't swing at the other junk as hard as I'd like, my luck it'd fly off and hit one of my USA made tools.. and bust the hammer head.😂 

Yep, but your odds of hitting a US made tool is getting more and more unlikely every year.  Did I mention the bearings in my BM Hawk were made in china?  I believe the motor was still U.S. made though, but if you dig into the control circuits and probably the motor itself, I suspect you will find foreign parts.  It's pretty sad really.

17 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Yep, but your odds of hitting a US made tool is getting more and more unlikely every year.  Did I mention the bearings in my BM Hawk were made in china?  I believe the motor was still U.S. made though, but if you dig into the control circuits and probably the motor itself, I suspect you will find foreign parts.  It's pretty sad really.

Yeah I knew that.. and you're right.. not much out there that is 100% USA made... I've been searching drill presses and there are American companies.. when you really dig into the info you find that it is a American company but produced in China, LOL..  Probably the case with the motor on the Hawk.. I do know the Hawk saw itself is USA made.. Not that it makes it any better considering their customer service.. 

I'm thinking I'll buy the HF pin nailer.. I've been wanting one for a long time.. and I have a 25% coupon.... might put their drill press in my cart accidently too.. 

I got a bench top drill press from HF, so far so good. Works like it should and breaks down into it's fairly small box to load in the 5th wheel. 

I heard the 2HP dust collectors are good also...they really suck...lol. So I've got one on order.

I just ordered the Ryobi 23GA cordless pin nailer from HD today. It uses the same lithium battery as my other Ryobi stuff...no cords or air hose ! I've got my air hose strung up high to the scroll saw and it's a PIA to take down and use for other stuff. I also picked up a small trim router that uses the same battery, couldn't help it...it was on sale.

Now down to the task of hunting a good table saw!

Edited by OzarkSawdust

I have been pleased with my HF dust collector.. It's got several hours on it these days and still kicking the dust into the bag.. LOL

Might buy a drill press from them.. with my coupon it's less than $100 soo that is a factor.

The pin nailer I've always wanted one.. but as you said.. having to drag out the air hose and hook things up would be a PIA for me too.. I seen on HD site the battery one.. was hoping DeWalt had something as that is what my battery powered set is.. but I haven't seen one yet.. Might have to go with Paul's idea of finish nails and the hammer, LOL

Honestly back in the day when I first started sawing I used to hold stacks together with screws.. Drywall screws will drive into wood pretty good without pre-drilling holes.. I used my cordless drill and just used screws.. Nice thing is.. you can back the screws back out and use them again.. 

I have Porter Cable set with compressor and nailers and use my 18 gauge 5/8 pins for stack cutting. works well bought it at least 20 plus years ago. There is a 23 gauge pin nailer at the local hardware for around 50 bucks that considered but for 50 bucks I can buy 2 sheets 5X5 of 1/8 BB.

12 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Honestly back in the day when I first started sawing I used to hold stacks together with screws.. Drywall screws will drive into wood pretty good without pre-drilling holes.. I used my cordless drill and just used screws.. Nice thing is.. you can back the screws back out and use them again.. 

I've never tried that..."method" of holding stacks...LOL. I have a Hitachi brad nailer but it is a 16GA and they don't have short nails, and those are good sized. I thought a 23GA would fit our kind of work better and can get nails down to 1/2". The 23GA seams to be what most are using when a stack nailer is mentioned...and it was on sale. 🤣

1 hour ago, OzarkSawdust said:

I've never tried that..."method" of holding stacks...LOL. I have a Hitachi brad nailer but it is a 16GA and they don't have short nails, and those are good sized. I thought a 23GA would fit our kind of work better and can get nails down to 1/2". The 23GA seams to be what most are using when a stack nailer is mentioned...and it was on sale. 🤣

The thing with screws is they don't work real well with 1/8" material.. because the tips of the screws don't have much of any bite to them ( threads ) so the bottom piece doesn't hold to well.. I switch from 1/4" to mostly 1/8" stack cuts these days which is why I just use tape.. I never thought about trim nails and hard manual labor..  My dad always used to say " work smarter not harder " That's why the hammer stays in the bottom of a junk drawer, 😂

I have the Porter Cable I thought the smallest pins were 1/2 but I guess that they are 5/8,  

I stack 6, 1.5mm(1/16) layers when I make my Christmas ornaments. It saves me huge amounts of time to put in a pin in each corner.

I then flip the stack on an anvil and tap each pin with a small hammer so that the bottom of the stack is smooth.

3 minutes ago, ike said:

I use a pin nailer all the time. it's better than taping. if there is a large cut out place in the pattern a nail ther will be a big suport when cutting. It cuts like there is a single piece of wood.

IKE

Cool. I'm looking forward to trying it. Also it will speed up framing, glue...pin...go on.