Newbie from the great white North!

J-M

As I'm approaching retirement age in a few years (probably never retire), I started to buy a few woodworking tools for basic carpentry needs.  As I was exploring bandsaws and realizing that I wont be making kitchen cabinets anytime soon and my need for resawing may be quite limited, I started looking at scroll saws and discovering all the cool little stuff I could be making for the grand kids. I could likely use a scroll saw to shape the contours of furniture armchairs (Adirondack chairs) and create patterns in the seat back or arms.

I've been doing some research on scroll saws. I'm set on a flat table and moving arm. And all the brands of moving arms seem to be made by the same manufacturer in Taiwan except the whole confusion about the name and unit built by GI in China - Excalibur / Excelsor.  Great article on this community which is what brought me here in the first place and I've discovered a wealth of information. Noteworthy, Pégas scroll saw isn't on your list of scroll saws - and the optional long table (more room in front of the blade is a strong contender.). For me, Seyco is out because they don't have the rack and pinion tilt and I can't see myself fussing around to make angle adjustments or building a rack and pinion like Steve Good has done.  Still need to look at Jet, ... and maybe others.

Excited at the possibilities and love those 3D scrollsaw designs.

Stay safe everyone!

J-M

Welcome to the village.

Where in the great white north.  I am in Brooklin Ontario just East of Toronto.

I have an older Excalibur that was built by General before the great confusion set in.  I love my EX-21 and have used most every day for last 10 years. 

If I was looking today in Canada I would be looking at the King.  Made in same shop at the EX-21.  It comes in 16, 21 and 30.  Pegas would be a strong contender except for the cost.  Pegas 1075+foot pedal (46) plus stand (113) plus HST + delivery

King 21 999 (foot pedal included) + $100 stand + HST ( depending where you are you may be able to pick up).  

Welcome to the Village from the Never White South...the East Coast of Central Florida to be exact.

The 21" Pegas scroll saw is very popular with many member in this forum including myself.  Great Saw for the price.   

Contact Dennis Knappen at  artcraftersscrollsaw@gmail.com , he is one of our members and is a supplier of the Pegas saw.  You can't beat his pricing.

Shoud yo purchas a Pegas, do your self a favor and get the Pegas stand.  Very sturdy and well worth the price.

Tow other important things to get from day one is a Foot Switch and a bright high magnification LED extension arm lamp.  You wont be sorry.

Welcome to the forum!
I hope you find the saw that meets all your needs and I hope it serves you well.
I do not like the blade clamps on any of the saws I have looked at in the past year or so
and probably won't be buying a new saw until mine completely gives out or some company
actually makes a simple, worth-while adjustment to their clamping system and keeps the saw at a reasonable price.

God Bless! Spirithorse

@don in brooklin on the Excelsior KXL21/100 is a contender and available within an hour drive. I’m in the Lower Laurentians. I also see it advertised at $999 pedal included and online at Atlas-Machinery located just west of you for the same price. Going to wait it out to see if anyone has a Boxing Day special as I missed the Black Friday deals.

Welcome friend!!!! I like how you shoot from the hip and say your mind! In fact you opened up a can of worms that I'm thankful for! I never knew or thought about scroll saws the way you do!!! I've gone thru plenty of scroll saws so your explanation set me straight on saws I've never wore out!! I'm going to be excited to see what saw your going to have fun with. I'll be saving pennies now so i can upgrade to the saw of your liking and does something for you!!! Your fitting in here just like a glove!!!! You now have a follower!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to The Village.. I see you are  not someone that jumps into things without doing your homework first. I did see where  Denny has his phone number on his Pagus page, you might give him a call and ask him about the saw. Also Amazon has the Jet on sale with free shipping right now, you may want to take a peak at that soon.  

Dick

heppnerguy