Door topper backing?

new2woodwrk

Hi all,

I'm in the process of making a door topper for my neighbor (post relating to pricing).

It is a group of Pelicans each with the name of a family member cut out. It is 48" long and 10" at it's highest (the Grand Father)

I was wondering if I should add a backing to each of the Pelicans - something that would pop the name or do you think just the names are fine against the painted wall?

Thanks as always in advance

Btw, no pics yet - they just got cut yesterday and are drying at the moment

You don't say how thick the material being used is but on thicker wood, say more than 1/4", I sometimes paint the inside cuts usually black.   It really makes a great contrast especially when viewed from an angle.  I paint the inside cuts before removing the pattern.  I also usually apply a dark backer. 

Hard to say for sure, without a visual.  There are several variables to consider.  One of which is the color of the painted wall.  There should be contrast between the wood and the cutouts.  A backer is the simplest way to accomplish this.  However, the thickness of the piece and the size of the cut out areas play key roles as well.

10 hours ago, stoney said:

You don't say how thick the material being used is but on thicker wood, say more than 1/4", I sometimes paint the inside cuts usually black.   It really makes a great contrast especially when viewed from an angle.  I paint the inside cuts before removing the pattern.  I also usually apply a dark backer. 

The pieces are cut from 3/4" poplar

10 hours ago, ike said:

you could ccut them from 1/8 material and use 1/8 backer. it all depends upon tlhe trim that they sit on.

ike

The edging of the door is 3/4" as well so there is very little area to add a backer, other than paper.

I'll post a pic once they dry and I can get them to the camera

Thanks all for the suggestions - much appreciated

Edited by new2woodwrk