Flowers (an experiment)

FrankEV

4 minutes ago, spirithorse said:

You may not consider yourself and artist...

I don't consider myself an artist because I have to rely on others to "CREATE" the art.  My whole working career involved drawing (drafting actualy) but always needed a straightedge and compass.  I can't draw freehand, in any form, for a lick. 

I'm quite decent at doing the mechanical work such as doing the cutting, or making frames, etc. and, I'm even learning to work a little in Inkscape to modify others work when needed.  The painting I'm experimenting with is more like "Painting by Numbers" as all I do is fill in the blanks.  Learning to mix colors is more logic than art. 

I'm very greatful that my scroll work is often touted as being nice and sometimes the end result considered "art", so I do not consider mysel an Artist but rather I do consider myself a fairly skilled, but still learning, "craftsman".

Thanks

18 hours ago, FrankEV said:

I don't consider myself an artist because I have to rely on others to "CREATE" the art.  My whole working career involved drawing (drafting actualy) but always needed a straightedge and compass.  I can't draw freehand, in any form, for a lick. 

I'm quite decent at doing the mechanical work such as doing the cutting, or making frames, etc. and, I'm even learning to work a little in Inkscape to modify others work when needed.  The painting I'm experimenting with is more like "Painting by Numbers" as all I do is fill in the blanks.  Learning to mix colors is more logic than art. 

I'm very greatful that my scroll work is often touted as being nice and sometimes the end result considered "art", so I do not consider mysel an Artist but rather I do consider myself a fairly skilled, but still learning, "craftsman".

Thanks

Well put Frank.  I could say very much the same for myself.

Is the difference between artist and craftsman the ability to draw freehand?  

I have been paid to do drafting with templates and writing tools that scale lettering.  Iso drawing also require a 3d thinking.  Some of my sketches was just as good as iso drawings.  The artists were using air brushes and creating marketing pictures. 

Is artistry learning and trying new things? New ideas to the industry or just new to the individual might generate the term artist or innovator.

Is artists just doing non-traditional crafts?

These might be good discussion questions.

Les, to me your flowers have many aspects of artistry. Abstract outlines of flowers, layers of wood and layers of paint.  A interesting method of creating a border. The craftsmenship of scrolling allowed you to envision and try this experiment. 

I applaud you for being innovative, artsy and crafty. 

Me.

Mark

7 hours ago, preprius said:

Is the difference between artist and craftsman the ability to draw freehand? .... 

NOPE!  And BTW, I'm Frank, not Les!

IMHO, an Artist has the ability to CREATE the Art in the first place in whatever form.  A Craftsman can mechanicaly COPY, PRODUCE and/or INTERPRET that Art in other mediums.  If it is duplicaed in the same medium, and an exact copy, it is called forgery.  

As an example, an Artist paints a wonderful painting.  A craftsman can make a beautiful lithograph of that painting.  Both result in Art but the Craftsman is not the Artist.

Let me say that these are only MY definitions and my belief what the difference between the two is. 

PS:  I guess my ability to draw (as in drafting) could be loosely mean I could be considered an Artist as what I created was an original product.  However, even then my work was not a creative endevor as my drafting skills was just replicating physical objects and interpretations of various data inputs on paper.  Much like how Inkscape can, using the Trace Bitmap command can reproduce a photo file, computers do many othe drafting work today.  I don't consider a computer an Artist.   

Edited by FrankEV