Round Compass boxes

munzieb

7 hours ago, munzieb said:

Several years ago I made 4 compass roses from various woods. I used one for a table top and one for another box. The other two had been laying around for a while and after finishing the previous black lacquer round box, it was time to find a home for these two Compasses. I wanted to try something different. I had several pieces of exotic woods, (Purpleheart, Bubinga, Brazilian Rosewood and oak) and wanted to do the 16 sided box again. I cut long strips 1.5" wide. First pass on the table saw was off by a degree on each side but second pass got me to the 11.25 degrees (78.75 deg. on table saw) to make a correct circle. I cut strips into 1.5" segments and laid them on blue tape for gluing. For the bottom, I double sided taped a long strip of wood to the lower segments and Routered a 1/4x1/4" groove and cut a matching disc for the base and glued the segments with titebond glue. I used 2 hose clamps screw together to form a circle to hold the 1st level in place. Glued up the other 2 layers with the blue tape to hold together along with the clamps. On the top I cut a dado rather than a groove for the compass to rest on. Glued all the layers together and double side taped to the top to the base so I could sand them all together on occillating sander. I cut 3 very thin strips on the table saw to form the insert lip for the top and glued together and sanded to fit in the base of the top. I cut 1/8" disks for the top and bottom and attached the felt and dropped them in place. Finish was several coats of clear gloss lacquer. Need to find another scrolling projects and give the boxes a rest.

20210202_143452.jpg

20210202_143510.jpg

20210202_143439.jpg

Another unbelievable project. You are simply amazing. So glad you explained it all so now even I could make these......NOT.  I am completely baffled and understood none of your way to do these, but that is me and you know me well enough by now to know I am out in left field most of the time anyway. Seriously, these are really cool pieces. I simply love them/  Lucky for you, I love on the western side of the USA and you live on the eastern side, otherwise I would be knocking at your door every day so I could learn a little bit about scrolling from you

Dick

heppnerguy