Harley Davidson

Foxfold

I am a HD rider, but I'm not into skulls.  That being said, it is a great piece, very well cut and colored nicely.  Most HD riders (i'm an exception) would l;ove to hang that piece in their man/lady biker cave. 

If you think that pattern was a PITA, this is the one I did for my son a number mounths ago (while I was still a real newbie):   

2085309700_LetsRide1.thumb.JPG.2a78a0986818b336bed52ff6387dd76c.JPG

51 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Not so much the 'pattern' Frank, but getting the 'painting' to fit without leaving gaps or encroaching where it shouldn't was, I found, incredibly frustrating and time consuming. 🙈

OK, I understand, have been experiencing that problem in my recent work that has been colored.   

It is very difficult to get the paint in the correct area below the cut opening, even if you trace the outline of the cut outs with a pointy pencil.  I found that I needed to find a way to be able to temporarily place the cut panel repeatably in the exact position to check the coverage of paint below.  A jig of some kind can be used to be able to position the panel temporarily while the painting is done.   For mine I created border strips that I taped to the backer. 

Yes it is a time a time consuming process and can be fustrating.  I found I have to rotate the piece to look at the cutout areas from all difections to make sure I have not left any visable unpainted areas.   Even only 1/8" thick panel can hide unpainted areas if looked at from only one direction.

4 hours ago, FrankEV said:

OK, I understand, have been experiencing that problem in my recent work that has been colored.   

It is very difficult to get the paint in the correct area below the cut opening, even if you trace the outline of the cut outs with a pointy pencil.  I found that I needed to find a way to be able to temporarily place the cut panel repeatably in the exact position to check the coverage of paint below.  A jig of some kind can be used to be able to position the panel temporarily while the painting is done.   For mine I created border strips that I taped to the backer. 

Yes it is a time a time consuming process and can be fustrating.  I found I have to rotate the piece to look at the cutout areas from all difections to make sure I have not left any visable unpainted areas.   Even only 1/8" thick panel can hide unpainted areas if looked at from only one direction.

I did one some time ago that I wanted to paint the backer different colors as you do... I printed another copy of the pattern, cut out the spots I wanted to paint with an xacto knife, taped the pattern to the backer and painted the cut out spots.. worked get.  The cut out didn't have to be exact, like following the lines on the pattern, you want some overlap anyway.. but close..  

On 3/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, Foxfold said:

Now, I know absolutely nothing about bikes, but a friend asked if I could do this for him. I've never painted anything before as I prefer plain wood and plain backers however I said I'd give it a try.  Just hope he likes it as it's going to the USA and I don't want it back. It's a gift so he can do with it as he wishes. 🤣   It was, to me, a pain in the backside to get right, so I doubt I'll do another one 🙈

Harley Half Done 2.jpg

Brenda, I have to say, you did a splendid job with this project. I am more than certain the receiver of this will be more than thrilled with it.  I too know nothing much about bikes and I made 2 projects for a new friend of mine and he absolutely loved them. And guess what, he came to my shop to see how I was able to cut them and now he too is cutting projects and just finished his third one today. I am thrilled more than ever that I made those pieces for him as I know have someone to scroll with in my shop.

Dick

heppnerguy

18 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I did one some time ago that I wanted to paint the backer different colors as you do... I printed another copy of the pattern, cut out the spots I wanted to paint with an xacto knife, taped the pattern to the backer and painted the cut out spots.. worked get.

That is a brilliant idea, thank you so much. I will definitely keep that one in my memory box 💕