Hi Everyone

Scroll

Im originally from the UK but now live in the USA. My first introduction to scrolling was back in school on a Hegner saw, and I always told myself someday I would like to do more of it. Finally decided that the time is now!

In doing my research on what saw to buy this forum keeps popping up so thought I would sign up and join the community.

Don't have my saw yet but will be buying one really soon. After much deliberation I think I have settled on the Pegas since it looks so user friendly. Just trying to decide what blades to go for at the moment before I place an order!

Welcome to SSV. You're going to like it here. Lots of knowledgeable, friendly  people to help you. Just ask away.

Pegas scroll saws and Pegas scroll saw blades seem to be the most popular at this time. I'm an Olson fan myself. But that's just me and what I'm used to after 50 years plus of scrolling.

Good luck

Ben

Thanks for the welcome messages.

Yeah since I was planning on getting the Pegas saw I was also considering trying their blades first - the choices are a little overwhelming for a beginner though.

From what I have been reading the skip and reverse sounds like it should be a good option. I got the Scroll Saw Workbook to help me get started, and ill be working with softer woods like pine and basswood, and maybe some plywood too for now.

Looking at the Pegas blade selection chart though it does seem like their Modified Geometry blades are the most all round best option, and I can buy a pack of a dozen of each size. Can anyone suggest if they are an alright choice for a beginner? Im a little unsure as they look like a blade type shown in the book called “precision ground” that they say are not recommended for beginners.

Hey Tom, Welcome to SSV.

It is good you are asking and learning about blades. 

Read Woodworking & Crafts  link to choosing the right blade.

Choosing the Right Blade - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts

A couple thoughts:

Wood type/hardness and thickness will require different blades

( How hard is the wood you are cutting? Go to the Janka  Hardness Chart )

Don't buy a bunch of blades right off the bat. Different wood and patterns may require selective blades.

Eventually you will need containers to keep them organized and labeled. 

Show us your first project and pile up that sawdust

Another option is to consider a variety pack of blades.  Think Pegas has one.  A lot of people here like the Modified Geometry blades... They are a little too aggressive for me for the types of scrolling I do most the time.  Don't be afraid to try several types,, several sizes... Heck,, I have over 30 different types/sizes... I use most of them.

And as I am writing, my opinion,,, I see Larry has a sorta different opinion...😏. Well I don't mean go crazy buying different types,,, but you need to buy more than one or two so you can compare...  Just my thoughts..  I did start with a variety pack, and it took me several years to end up with a many different blades as I have not.

Edited by Scrappile

I too suggest an assortment pack so you can figure out what works for you.  I have scrolled for over 12 years and I still use the blades that I got in an assortment pack from Mikes Workshop.  I use Ultra reverse (usually #3).  I have tried the Pegas MGT blades and they are a lot more aggressive than FD-UR but I think with a little practice they would be fine.

It is just a matter getting used to a blade.  

I'll be working through some of these practice projects in the book to help get me up to speed with the technique basics first before tacking anything of my own, and looks like that suggests mostly #3 and #5 blades. I feel like ill want to try out the skip reverse, and also the modified geometry in at least those two sizes to get a feel for what I prefer when attempting these practice pieces. Maybe an assortment that at least contains those + a few others would work... but ill try not to get too carried away right off the bat so I'm not overwhelmed with choice.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on blades and info so far - that's all really helpful and gives me plenty to consider! Looking forward to the saw arriving and getting started. I'll be sure to share some of my experience and my early "masterpieces" as I go :)

On 5/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, Scroll said:

Looking at the Pegas blade selection chart though it does seem like their Modified Geometry blades are the most all round best option, and I can buy a pack of a dozen of each size. Can anyone suggest if they are an alright choice for a beginner? Im a little unsure as they look like a blade type shown in the book called “precision ground” that they say are not recommended for beginners.

Welcome to SVV from Central Florida.

My thoughts:

I find the Pegas MGT R are a good all around blade.  Pegas blades in general are more  agressive then other brands, but after getting use to them, the other brands seem dull right out of the package.  I don't feel you need to jump around with different types of blades untill you get a lot more experience.  Pick one type ( I suggest the MGT R) and stick with it untill you feel you need the blade to do more for you.  That could be quite a while.

You will really want a broader selection of sizes all the way from #2/0 through #5.   #3 & 5 are OK for simple rather large cutout areas and long straight/curved lines, but once you start to do more intricate work, the #2/0, #0 and #1 blades become much more appropriate.  Just remember one thing, reduce the blade speed and do not over tighten the tension when using smaller blades or you will break a lot - I know, been there, done that.

And BTW, the Pegas saw is well worth the price.  Just make sure you order the stand with it.

Thanks guys! That's reassuring to hear that the Pegas is well worth it. I was originally planning on spending a little less but features like the head lift and tilting really sold me on it. I will be getting the stand too.

For blades keeping it simple does sound sensible, and as a benefit I will hopefully learn the feel for the blades quicker if I stick to a type until I run into issues. Most of the practice exercises i'm going to try out first are not super detailed so I guess that is why they are suggesting #3 and #5 to begin with - that or it's targeted at beginners like me that are guaranteed to break blades, haha.

I'm eager to get past these though and move on to more detailed projects though for sure, and prepared to break some blades in the process of getting a feel for them :)

On 5/9/2021 at 4:32 PM, Scroll said:

Im originally from the UK but now live in the USA. My first introduction to scrolling was back in school on a Hegner saw, and I always told myself someday I would like to do more of it. Finally decided that the time is now!

In doing my research on what saw to buy this forum keeps popping up so thought I would sign up and join the community.

Don't have my saw yet but will be buying one really soon. After much deliberation I think I have settled on the Pegas since it looks so user friendly. Just trying to decide what blades to go for at the moment before I place an order!

Welcome friend!!! Sorry for late response but so many things are happening. I never heard of a scroll saw in school, lucky you!!! Well what ever saw you chose there will be loads of quality times with it. Keep coming back and show us your first fire wood project, lol We've all done them!!! Welcome again!!!

Thanks for the welcome messages everyone! Still waiting on the saw to arrive before I can get started, but once I do i'll be sure to share some of my adventures along the way. Exciting times!

On 5/18/2021 at 9:44 PM, amazingkevin said:

Welcome friend!!! Sorry for late response but so many things are happening. I never heard of a scroll saw in school, lucky you!!! Well what ever saw you chose there will be loads of quality times with it. Keep coming back and show us your first fire wood project, lol We've all done them!!! Welcome again!!!

Looking back I suppose I was pretty lucky to have been introduced to scrolling back in school. They were Hegners too! (but a small more basic model). To us back then it was the "mini band saw we are actually allowed to touch" in our woodworking classes! Band saw was for the teachers use only unless you took woodworking as an older student.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, Ctutor said:

I note Dennis Koppen replied to your notice.. Make sure you touch base with his.  He is very helpful.  Even though he is a dealer you will find him impartial

I have been in touch with Dennis about blades as it happens, he has given me some helpful advice and i'll likely be contacting him soon about ordering 👍