Woodworker from SE Wisconsin, Ready for scrolling

DRugerH

Good morning all.   I thought I would get off of my duff and join a Scroll Saw forum now that I am getting more into scroll sawing. 

I have owned a vintage ~1935 Delta 700 that I restored about 15-years ago, or so, and only used it twice.  For wood art, I am more into using the lathe, but I recently volunteered to be a troop leader for a boys club.  I thought it would be great to introduce these boys to wood working and using a scroll saw.  Because of this, I blew the dust off of my Delta 700 and started making some simply Christmas ornaments as samples for the boys, and in the meantime, I picked up 7 16" scroll saws on CraigsList ($50 and under was my budget) for the boys to use.  Needless to say, they are anticipating using them, and on the first Wednesday in December, they will touch their first scroll saw.  After a safety talk, and some rules, I'll start them on some practice patterns, and then once they are comfortable with it, they will start making Christmas ornaments. 

Also, as I have been scrolling, I picked up a Hawk G4, that needs a little work done.  Parts are cheap, and I can get it up and running for under $60, I hope.  I also have a 1960's Craftsman 18" saw that uses 6" blades, so that one will be a pain to locate blades for.  But, I say all of this as I think I found another hobby, to add to my wood working hobby, as I will be making samples for the boys as they get more into scroll sawing.  Also, this place looked like a really good resource, so I am looking forward to diving into this journey.

Dan

Welcome from SE North Carolina. I commend you for you efforts with the young lads. I've found scrolling to be something like fishing. It doesn't take much to set the hook. You'll have these boys begging their parents for their own scroll saw. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask this forum quests when needed. There is a wealth of knowledge among the members. Also, be sure to share photos of your, and the boys, projects.

Absolutely!  December 1st is going to be their first try on the saws, and they are very excited.   I made an ornament on every one of the saws they are going to use so I can tune them up and make sure they will operate as good as a beginner's saw can.  Plus, when they tell me the saw isn't cutting right, I can show them the ornament I made on it :) 

Dan