bulk staining

rash_powder

I *think* I am done cutting Christmas ornaments for this year.  My wife was going to paint them but has since decided we will stain them.  I've got 21 ornaments and 2 wall scrolls to stain; all the same color.  

Has anyone suggestions for a good bulk stain process?  I've 1 1/4 of the small cans of Minwax stain, so I don't think dipping will work.  

Thanks!

An easy way to eliminate staining entirely is to us hardwoods to cut your ornaments. I use Cherry, Maple, Mahogany, Red Oak, walnut, Sapele and what ever I have on hand. Applying an oil based topcoat will bring out the natural color and grain of the woods. I sell hundreds of ornaments a year, not a single one stained or painted!

Edited by dgman

2 hours ago, dgman said:

An easy way to eliminate staining entirely is to us hardwoods to cut your ornaments. I use Cherry, Maple, Mahogany, Red Oak, walnut, Sapele and what ever I have on hand. Applying an oil based topcoat will bring out the natural color and grain of the woods. I sell hundreds of ornaments a year, not a single one stained or painted!

I'm curious where you found sapele Dan. When I needed it I couldn't find it anywhere so I ended up using mahogany. I needed it in 3/4" x 6" x 18".

It is readily available Ray. I can find it at Woodcraft. There are two hardwood dealers in Ventura County that carry it: Conejo Hardwoods and stone in Thousand Oaks and Myan hardwoods in Camarillo. Also there is an online wood dealer in Arizona called Woodworkers Source. Of course these sources only sell 4/4 thick boards, so you have to mill to the thickness you need. Just today, I needed 1/4” board for Christmas gifts. I had a 4’ Sapele board that I resawed on my table saw then planed to 1/4”. Out of that 4’ board I got 8 1/4”  blanks!

Edited by dgman

14 hours ago, rash_powder said:

I *think* I am done cutting Christmas ornaments for this year.  My wife was going to paint them but has since decided we will stain them.  I've got 21 ornaments and 2 wall scrolls to stain; all the same color.  

Has anyone suggestions for a good bulk stain process?  I've 1 1/4 of the small cans of Minwax stain, so I don't think dipping will work.  

Thanks!

I use plastic trays that Chinese take-out comes in or small disposable aluminum pans I get in at the dollar store.  Pour the stain in there, dip, then pour the stain back in the can for the next time.

12 hours ago, dgman said:

It is readily available Ray. I can find it at Woodcraft. There are two hardwood dealers in Ventura County that carry it: Conejo Hardwoods and stone in Thousand Oaks and Myan hardwoods in Camarillo. Also there is an online wood dealer in Arizona called Woodworkers Source. Of course these sources only sell 4/4 thick boards, so you have to mill to the thickness you need. Just today, I needed 1/4” board for Christmas gifts. I had a 4’ Sapele board that I resawed on my table saw then planed to 1/4”. Out of that 4’ board I got 8 1/4”  blanks!

Thanks Dan. I'll file those sources away for next time. I remember asking here on the Village but nobody offered anything. Living where I do in a mobile home park I try not to use my planer any more than necessary but I might have to rethink that a bit. Most of my neighbors can't hear anyway lol.

16 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I'm curious where you found sapele Dan. When I needed it I couldn't find it anywhere so I ended up using mahogany. I needed it in 3/4" x 6" x 18".

I received this email yesterday - maybe it will work for you!

https://www.woodpeck.com/sapele-project-packs.html?trk_msg=14H0Q2P21E5418GHEMU5URE02S&trk_contact=RFJ6STQR8TGLM9BK98T7VHPCCS&trk_sid=P1H44OUPCNDRMCQ067UO5NLMVG&trk_link=K8090INOEHJ4N4UGM7NHME5BC0&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Woodpeckers+Woodshop&utm_campaign=12.04.21+Wood

2 hours ago, Jaguarguy said:

Thanks for the link. The more resources we have the better. Whenever something like this comes up, add it to the "Resource" link above.