Backers For Portraits?

kmmcrafts

So with the price of BBply at $45 a sheet now.. What's a good material to use and maybe paint for backers. I always just used BBply as it wasn't overly expensive but I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative. I like a backer to be glued so it gives added strength and not too thick of material so it can still fit in most standard framed.. I guess it really wouldn't have to be glued but would need to be able to be painted.. I have a tractor portrait to do for a friend and hoping to maybe paint the backer the correct tractor color. I haven't done portrait work for several years now.. so almost like I'm relearning, LOL..   

There is a product called Sureply that's used for underlayment, a bit cheaper @29.00 1/4x4x8. I had some left over from our kitchen remodel and used it a backer, it took stain quite nice. The manufacturer recommends you score it with a knife and snap it. The interior make-up is hard on blades so if cutting with a table saw I would use an older blade. 

I use backer board they sell for artwork.  Its like a 1/4" foam construction paper type thing thats rigid.  Comes white or black and you can paint it.  

The pieces glue to it fine as well.  Big advantage is it is very lightweight as its designed to go into frames and such. 

For portraits I won't use anything but 1/4" BB ply I get online in the precut 12" x 24" size.  I did note the price jumped significantly the last time I ordered it..

I believe, a well done cutting deserves to be mounted on a substaintial permanent backer that I can feel confident won't deteriate over the near or far term.  Especially so, as my backers are often painted a solid color using rattle can spray paint, stained and/or hand painted with Artist Acrylics.   To me the backer is as important part of a portrait as is the cut panel.

The total thickness of the glued-up 5/32" solid core ply and the 1/4" thick BB ply backer is just a tad over 3/8" and works well for mounting in a 1/4" x 1/2" deep rabbet I cut in my 3/4" thick Poplar Frames.

I used to use the colored foam type sheets.. I just don't really like it anymore after using something much stronger and more solid. Most my recent backers was 1/4" walnut plywood for sign type projects and clocks.. but for something going to be framed I feel like I need to use thinner than 1/4" Thinking 1/8" would for much better in a frame.