Alligators, did you know…

FrankEV

I found a couple of black and white images of Alligators on-line that I was able to convert into scrollable patterns.  I thought they would make for a portrait of something a little different. 

I knew I was going to hand paint with Artist Acrylics, so I used up a piece of my 5/32” solid core Birch for the cut panel and the positive images were then mounted on 1/4” thick BB ply backer.  Although there are some exceedingly small detail cuts, the cutting was easy, using Pegas #2/0 spiral blades, with just over 150 holes to produce the two images.  After painting and assembly, the panel was protected with multiple coats of Deft Clear Gloss Spray Lacquer.

Now here is the question: Did you know that Alligators are not Green, regardless of what most painted images depict?

When I did a Google search for the actual color of Alligators and looked at many photos, I found out that they are most often blackish, with light toned under bodies.  Alligator colors can vary with their habitation, and some can be somewhat green but most are not.

The Frame is my standard 1 3/4” wide Poplar stained with Minwax Ebony and protected with multiple coats of Minwax clear Gloss Wipe-on-Poly.

Alegators.thumb.jpg.f19a10b770b0ae87cca7a81da266cf88.jpg

Comments and critique always welcome.

Edit: Corrected the spelling of Alligator and added a camera raw image photo below.

1247507500_Alligatorsrawimage.thumb.jpg.46c5116f9c1aa78cc63ec5107142dc7c.jpg

Edited by FrankEV

2 hours ago, flarud said:

I think the mouth area would look a bit better with a lighter red or even a peachy pink color. ,,,

I found getting the correct color of the mouth difficult.  Too pink, too orange, too ???.  Nothing seemed to work just right.  What I wound up with, looked OK to me and looks better in person.  The Photo seems to make it much redder.

I also noted in the photo, the underbody color is quite green where in real life it is more cream.

Edit: I added a camera raw image to the original post.  Color is a little truer and detail is more visible.

My art paint blending skills still needs work.

And Yeah, I can't spell!  Went back to original post and corrected the spelling.

Thank you.  I really do appreciate the critique.  

Edited by FrankEV

• FrankEV changed the title to Alligators, did you know…