Excalibur speed control going crazy

Gonzo

T

5 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Sounds like a dirty rheostat to me also. Blow it out with a can of compressed air. Maybe get a can of contact cleaner too. If it turbs out to be a bad rheostat, that's an easy fix too. Out of curiosity, is your saw a Chinese Ex or one of the earlier saws? 

How does one go about cleaning the rheostat? And where is it?  Sorry I’m kind of dumb when it comes to mechanical crap. 
Good question Ray!  I have no idea if it’s Chinese or not. I bought it off Craig’s list 6 years ago. It maybe had 5 hours on when I bought it. How can I find out if it’s the Chinese or earlier saw?

Edited by Gonzo

12 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

T

How does one go about cleaning the rheostat? And where is it?  Sorry I’m kind of dumb when it comes to mechanical crap. 
Good question Ray!  I have no idea if it’s Chinese or not. I bought it off Craig’s list 6 years ago. It maybe had 5 hours on when I bought it. How can I find out if it’s the Chinese or earlier saw?

Look at the i d  plate at the right rear by the motor. It should say either Canada, Taiwan or China. What color is your saw. If it's green it's definitely a good one. Black can be either Taiwan or China. If you bought it used 6 years ago I'd say it's not Chinese. 

As to cleaning the rheostat try blowing it out with high pressure air. Preferrably the stuff you buy for computers. It's dry air. No moisture. While blowing it out wherever you can get air into it you'll want to be rotating the knob or shaft to dislodge any dirt/dust/corrosion. If after doing that you still have a problem you might have to unsolder the wires from it and take it to an electronics supply store to get a new one. But, don't get in over your head. If you can't do it try to find someone who can.

I have 2 EX-21’s. I have never bothered to look to see where they came from. But then again, I’ve never had any trouble.  Both are made in Taiwan. Both saws are 6 years old,  The one in question only gets used in the Spring and Fall, which is very little, compared to the other. 
when I got home from work today, I played with it and took the canned air to it. It seems to be working correctly.
Thank you all for your help!  I appreciate it!!!!

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

I have 2 EX-21’s. I have never bothered to look to see where they came from. But then again, I’ve never had any trouble.  Both are made in Taiwan. Both saws are 6 years old,  The one in question only gets used in the Spring and Fall, which is very little, compared to the other. 
when I got home from work today, I played with it and took the canned air to it. It seems to be working correctly.
Thank you all for your help!  I appreciate it!!!!

You'ave got 2 great saws. I'm glad that you may have found the problem. I also have 2 of them and I try to remember to "exercise" the speed controls on both of them as often as I can remember. I don't change cutting speeds very much but I give the knobs a back and forth twist just to keep any corrosion from building up. I live a mile from the Pacific ocean so it's humid here year round.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, Gonzo said:

How does one go about cleaning the rheostat? And where is it?  

thats your speed control knob. i had to replace mine when it did the same. easy repair even for people not mechanicallly incined.

if there isnt a vdeo in YT, we can guide you through it

Edited by tomsteve