Where Is Everyone?

kmmcrafts

5 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

@OCtoolguy The 3D reindeer are cute.  

The problem with hard maple:

I cut some toys (dinosaurs) for a niece but never could give them to her.  The hard maple cuts nicely but the cut edges are SHARP!  And impossible to sand satisfactorily.  I still have those lying around somewhere.  I could sand the outer edges with some (a lot) of effort, but never could get the inner edges.  

Don't know if it'd work for your situation, but you could try to use some spray glue on the back side of some cut strips of sandpaper and stick the two strips to each side of a scroll saw blade and mount in the saw.. if you need the edges rounded some you might leave the blade just a little loose in the saw and it may flex just enough to take the edge off the project. This had worked for a project I was doing once.. but probably really depends on the project at hand.

5 hours ago, John B said:

Have been flat out like a lizard drinking. It's the MAD season, especially at school with concerts, and end of year activities.
Have also had two cancer's hacked out over the past two weeks. One in my arm 12 stitches and on in my thigh, yesterday, 15 stitches.
Wear long sleeves, long strides and a broad brimmed hat, when outside at all times.

@John B I hope that you heal quickly and thoroughly.  Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Don't get much time for scrolling like I use to.  I really cannot sit for long periods at the scroll saw like I use to.  Scroll a little while and got to get up and move around.  My body get all cramped up.  And my wife can not do all she use to so I am the care taker and house cleaner... She is getting even for all the years she took care of me and the kids and kept the house up, did the cooking...I do not know how she did it and she also worked a full time job. And I got to say, I am not as good at it as she was.  God bless her.

Edited by Scrappile

On 12/1/2022 at 5:24 AM, TAIrving said:

@OCtoolguy The 3D reindeer are cute.  

The problem with hard maple:

I cut some toys (dinosaurs) for a niece but never could give them to her.  The hard maple cuts nicely but the cut edges are SHARP!  And impossible to sand satisfactorily.  I still have those lying around somewhere.  I could sand the outer edges with some (a lot) of effort, but never could get the inner edges.  

Thanks for your input. But, I don't make toys. I'm doing the earrings mostly just to satisfy my curiosity and the "reindeer king" here on the Village is @CharleyL . He uses hard maple for it's durability so I'm following his advice. I must say, I'm a little leery of cutting it. I have worked a bit with hickory and got through it ok. We will see. Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around the mechanical parts and how to go about installing them.

Edited by OCtoolguy

Some of my other things came home to roost today.

My daughter came home from collage last night and this morning had her tonsils out this morning. Not a pleasant thing when you're going on 20 (I know she's still a baby) so I guess looking after her is going to be my priority, at least while her mother's a work .....

3 hours ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Some of my other things came home to roost today.

My daughter came home from collage last night and this morning had her tonsils out this morning. Not a pleasant thing when you're going on 20 (I know she's still a baby) so I guess looking after her is going to be my priority, at least while her mother's a work .....

I had mine out twice. Once when I was four and then again at 16. They did a lousy job the first time.