Returning old newb... 🤷‍♂️

Scroll-N-Skydiver

Hi,

I'm Bill, I was away from woodworking and hobbies for a period of time. Life has a funny way of directing and changing our paths.
This past holiday season my wife found a used oldie on FB Marketplace. For $75 on the stand. I couldn't pass it up. I'm not sure if it was used much at all.
Before I had an old craftsman pinned blade version and I used it for cutting parts for RC airplanes. Between my eyes and other things, I can't fly RC's or parachutes anymore.
I decided to give this a go. I'm hooked. I'm going to have to get a better saw though. Feeding these pinless blades through a hole and keeping them from bending is a challenge without an articulating arm.

I enclosed the porch and use a buddy heater to have a place to work. We live tiny and so I don't have a work area. It's comfortable though and I enjoy it for hours at a time. Some nights it's just too cold, but all in all it's enjoyable.

I am really enjoying basic stuff, but can see wanting to really learn Intarsia and portrait type stuff.

~BK

PS, HUGE Thank you to Travis for creating a dark theme so that I can see and participate. It's nice that there are still kind people left in this world.

IMG_9270.JPG

8 hours ago, meflick said:

Welcome to the Village from East Tennessee.  Glad Travis was able to easily do the dark mode for you, I’m sure others may find it helpful as well. We look forward to your participation. Lots of kind folks here in the Village, so don’t be afraid to ask questions. 🙂

We are not far apart. We are in WNC about an hour west of Trashville. There is a lady that runs an Intarsia class over near Sevierville, TN. Hoping to be able to go check that out someday soon. Are you near there? Do you know the school I'm talking about by chance? Ever been? 

21 minutes ago, Scroll-N-Skydiver said:

We are not far apart. We are in WNC about an hour west of Trashville. There is a lady that runs an Intarsia class over near Sevierville, TN. Hoping to be able to go check that out someday soon. Are you near there? Do you know the school I'm talking about by chance? Ever been? 

Yes, I am in the Knoxville area. The lady of who, you speak is considered to be one of the most prominent Intarsia experts around. Her name is Judy Gale Roberts and you can find her in Seymour,TN which is just a small area between Knoxville and Sevierville. I have had the pleasure of taking several of her classes since I started on the saw back almost seven years ago.  I started with Intarsia and her class right after I lost my mom. It was great means of helping me deal with the loss. (I had already lost my dad many years before.) Since I leave so close, I would drive over each day. It’s only about 30 minutes or so from my house. 

She used to do 3 levels of classes, beginners, intermediate, and advanced but has such a long waiting list that she is trying to focus on the beginner classes and has eliminated the advanced classes. She only does a few classes each year and they fill up quickly so if you really are interested, I would recommend you call and get on her waiting list as it could be a while. I know her 2023 classes are full. You can find her website here: https://intarsia.com Even if you aren’t ready to take her class, or can’t get in for a bit, but are in the area, it’s a treat to stop in at her shop and see all of her work on display.

pits been a while since I did any Intarsia as I kept expanding my scrolling thanks to everyone here in the avillage over the years. I need to get back to it and finish a few pieces I’ve had sitting around now for awhile. 🤫🙂

4 hours ago, Blaughn said:

Welcome to the Village, Bill.  Skydiving?  I spent too many years striving to log the same number off landings as take-offs.  Glad to see your feet on the ground!

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I am a commercial pilot and CFI/I as well. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I have not been current or given any dual in over 15 years though. When I made my first skydive it was like a heroin addiction. It was all I did for the better part of 12 years. 😢

Now I just try to live a quiet life in the woods out of the way and hopefully mostly out of mind.

Bill

3 hours ago, Scroll-N-Skydiver said:

Hey Bruce, I am a commercial pilot and CFI/I as well. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I have not been current or given any dual in over 15 years though. When I made my first skydive it was like a heroin addiction. It was all I did for the better part of 12 years. 😢

Now I just try to live a quiet life in the woods out of the way and hopefully mostly out of mind.

Bill

Always good to connect with another throttle jock!

Going through Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola in 1970, they put us through all of the parachute landing fall training including water entry wind drag escape but we never did an actual jump. 

I did some civilian flying after the Navy but I had to ground myself as I had trouble understanding ATC and tower transmissions.  I destroyed my hearing by serving as a squadron Landing Signal Officer.   Each navy carrier-based squadron has 2 of their pilots train and serve as LSOs in addition to flying the squadron mission.  LSOs have jets landing 30 feet away and going to full afterburner as they touch down.  Since LSOs need to hear the what approaching engines are doing they don't wear hearing protection.  Needless to say it took its toll.

1 hour ago, Blaughn said:

Always good to connect with another throttle jock!

Going through Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola in 1970, they put us through all of the parachute landing fall training including water entry wind drag escape but we never did an actual jump. 

I did some civilian flying after the Navy but I had to ground myself as I had trouble understanding ATC and tower transmissions.  I destroyed my hearing by serving as a squadron Landing Signal Officer.   Each navy carrier-based squadron has 2 of their pilots train and serve as LSOs in addition to flying the squadron mission.  LSOs have jets landing 30 feet away and going to full afterburner as they touch down.  Since LSOs need to hear the what approaching engines are doing they don't wear hearing protection.  Needless to say it took its toll.

Thank you for your service brother.

My last civilian flying was as a Capt in CAP. I was doing cadet O rides. That was a lot of fun. It was at that airport that I was introduced to skydiving. 🤦🏻‍♂️😊😂

My hearing is damaged, but nothing close to what you have going on. I have some ringing most all the time. The VA was in the process of getting me into hearing aids when COVID started. It’s been paused for a bit now. Eventually I will do it. Kinda resistant and stubborn. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Scroll-N-Skydiver said:

Thank you for your service brother.

My last civilian flying was as a Capt in CAP. I was doing cadet O rides. That was a lot of fun. It was at that airport that I was introduced to skydiving. 🤦🏻‍♂️😊😂

My hearing is damaged, but nothing close to what you have going on. I have some ringing most all the time. The VA was in the process of getting me into hearing aids when COVID started. It’s been paused for a bit now. Eventually I will do it. Kinda resistant and stubborn. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The VA has been great.  I encourage you to keep at it with them.  They are dispensing the very best and state of the art for hearing aids.  I have been wearing them for 30+ years and the ability to link your phone to the hearing aids is great.  Thank you for your service as well!!

On 1/27/2023 at 11:38 PM, Blaughn said:

The VA has been great.  I encourage you to keep at it with them.  They are dispensing the very best and state of the art for hearing aids.  I have been wearing them for 30+ years and the ability to link your phone to the hearing aids is great.  Thank you for your service as well!!

I can't complain. The Asheville VA has taken pretty good care of me. I tore my rotator cuff and my bicep in my left shoulder. I'm on the tail end of that recovery now, but the surgeon overthere fixed me right up. Nowhere near the pain I was in before. Recovery has been rough, but I'm nearly done. Next up my hearing. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, Glad we both started roughly the same time.  Even though you have been here before.  Cool, you were a skydiver.  I use to date a skydiver in College, he did "team" diving.  I never got the nerve to go up, though...I like to have my feet on land.  Glad to hear your shoulder is doing well.  I am a physical therapist so I have seen a few folks with rotator cuff repairs....Anyway, Welcome!

28 minutes ago, Scroll-N-Skydiver said:

Likewise, welcome. What is your favorite type of scroll'n so far?

Hmmm good question...I honestly don't know.   I was looking at others work and really think fret work is beautiful but I think I will start with larger scrolls like cutting out a shape of something practical like maybe a cutting board....what about you?

I've put a little gallery up here. I've been cutting all kinds of things. My goal is to get to doing intarsia. I really like this Bill's type of Intarsia. 
https://www.youtube.com/@NewtonMakesArt

I enjoy fret work as well. I'd like to do some pet portraits and even human portraits if possible. I just bought a scroll saw puzzle book on Amazon. I have a granddaughter in GA that needs some GPops made toys.

Mostly I'm just having fun finding patterns and giving them a go. Trying everything I can. I'm a dabbler.

@OCtoolguy Ray meet me at the airfield next Saturday,  I'll go with you,  If I happen to not show up go ahead without me.  My son got his nephew, our our youngest grandson a couple "jumps"/ Flights" what every you call it, in the air tower things.  He really love every minute of it.

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

@OCtoolguy Ray meet me at the airfield next Saturday,  I'll go with you,  If I happen to not show up go ahead without me.  My son got his nephew, our our youngest grandson a couple "jumps"/ Flights" what every you call it, in the air tower things.  He really love every minute of it.

I'd love to but my knees are so bad now it's getting harder to walk everyday.