Is there a Hegner in my future?

Gonzo

16 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

So, just to point out something.. I think the reason Hawk and Hegners have such a learning curve to mount the blades is because of the saw design.. The upper arms on these are not fixed to the motor and the lower arm like they are on most other saws.. If you break a blade on a Hawk or Hegner and it takes you a few second to get the power shut down.. the upper arm moves independent.. so breaking a blade means only the lower arm is powered still.. breaking a blade makes the upper arm ( being they are spring loaded ) pop up and out of the way.. The only thing that "powers" the upper arm is the blade being connected to the lower " powered arm ".. THIS is why blade tension is so critical on these type of saws.. 

Both the Hawk and Hegner are picky about having the blade exactly inserted and tensioned.. and why I say there is a learning curve that takes time to get the hang of, especially after being used to deWalt, excalibur pegas type saws.. Those saws if you break a blade the upper and lower arms are still connected to the motor and those short little arms at the front of the saw are pretty forgiving if tension isn't "perfect"  

i've had my Heger for several years now and I still jump when a blade brakes!  It is not that thing just quit working, That blade Pops up .  It can really wake  you up!

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

Yep, it is. I saw that right away when I saw the ad. That’s what made me look for the wedge when I went there. 

Well, not sure if you seen my post about picking up a Hegner MultiMax 18 this morning.. Now I officially have about 20 minutes of seat time at one.. Hawks are nice saws but this thing blows the Hawk out of the water by quite a lot.. just from my first 20 minute impressions.. You won't go wrong with either saw but if the funds are there for the new Hegner and you can't strike a deal on anything used I think you'd be very happy with a new Hegner.. 

35 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well, not sure if you seen my post about picking up a Hegner MultiMax 18 this morning.. Now I officially have about 20 minutes of seat time at one.. Hawks are nice saws but this thing blows the Hawk out of the water by quite a lot.. just from my first 20 minute impressions.. You won't go wrong with either saw but if the funds are there for the new Hegner and you can't strike a deal on anything used I think you'd be very happy with a new Hegner.. 

Thanks. Good information to hear. Yeah, 90% chance that I’ll pull the trigger on a new Hegner

On 2/4/2023 at 12:40 PM, Jim Finn said:

In order to make my Hegner Polymax 3 usable while seated, I cut off a few inches from the legs of the stand.  Works well for me.

Jim, can you tell me about how much you cut off and/or the distance from top of table to floor? Did you do anything to the foot ends of the legs? Did it affect the vibration factor? They are temperamental as for mounting bolts etc.

14 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Jim, can you tell me about how much you cut off and/or the distance from top of table to floor? Did you do anything to the foot ends of the legs? Did it affect the vibration factor? They are temperamental as for mounting bolts etc.

I cut off 4 inches and bolted the piece I cut off to the side of the leg and then screwed the foot to my wooden floor.  No change in vibration at all.  To decide how much to cut off I sat in my chair and, because I wanted to have the saw at chest height, I cut off the 4 inches.  Depends on how high your chair is and how close to you want the saw table to your eyes.  I do not have it tilted at all.  It sets level.  I use this saw for doing inlays and need to have the saw close to my eyes.  I have had it this way for over 4 years now. 

A different saw I have much lower, at the same level as my chair seat.  This second saw I use for making toys and spend hours at it and this is most comfortable for me. The hegner is much higher and using it for long periods while seated is a strain on my shoulders but is fine for inlays. Also, I can still use the higher, Hegner saw while standing.

Back in the day people walked up hill both to and home from school.. They had strong legs and didn't need to sit at the scroll saw so the stands are tall for standing at the saw.. People these days design saws to use while you lay in bed and watch tv aka CNC / Laser machines.. somewhere in between all that was the shorter stands like the EX, Pegas etc..  😂🤣

I have a tall stool and like to sit up higher.. I made a block as Paul said to mount my foot switch and rest my feet on..

Edited by kmmcrafts

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I got a seat that I can adjust the height, then made a little platform to put my peddle on and my feet.  I never even though of cutting off the legs.

Read this out of context.  Took me a minute to realize you didn't mean your own legs.  😆

I feel pretty lucky seeing the prices you guys are talking about.  I just bought a multimax 2 with a stand that was on fb for $20.  I didn’t even haggle on the price.  Just picked it up. Looks good, just needs a new bellow. I never really used one before so I think this basic one should be good to start with.   

Thank you Paul, Ray, RJ and Kevin. I’m excited and nervous at the same time. Excited for being able to purchase one of the best,and nervous because of the cost. But, as Don Henley sing/sang/sung, “but you don’t no hearses with luggage racks”.

Thanks again, to all of you who have chimed in on this post. Very much appreciated.