Sleepless in Washington state over Scroll Saw choice

MarieC

Welcome to the Village Marie. You made an excellent choice in the EX. I have one I bought new in 2010 and also a Seyco that I purchased new in 2018 I believe, both excellent machines. At that time Scrappile had a Seyco and I went visit him and try his out before I bought mine. He does beautiful work, I have had the pleasure of getting to see a lot of his pieces. I live in Eastern Oregon. I got to meet Heppnerguy as well when he was here visting Paul ( Scrappile ). Enjoy your Ex and happy scrolling. If you have questions they will get answered on here.

3 hours ago, scrollingforsanity said:

Welcome to the Village Marie. You made an excellent choice in the EX. I have one I bought new in 2010 and also a Seyco that I purchased new in 2018 I believe, both excellent machines. At that time Scrappile had a Seyco and I went visit him and try his out before I bought mine. He does beautiful work, I have had the pleasure of getting to see a lot of his pieces. I live in Eastern Oregon. I got to meet Heppnerguy as well when he was here visting Paul ( Scrappile ). Enjoy your Ex and happy scrolling. If you have questions they will get answered on here.

Thank you so much.  I do like my EX a lot, I am still trying to figure out lighting and maybe a different angle.  I do art work and would love to have it tipped up like my easel but not sure how to go about doing that.  It is on a really nice stand that it came with... maybe I can put a couple bricks under the back wheels....maybe it is just my seat height...not sure...will keep trying things to see what will work best for me.  Where in Eastern Oregon do you live.  We went down there to Bend to ski last year...wow that town has grown....Thanks again!

9 hours ago, MarieC said:

Thank you so much.  I do like my EX a lot, I am still trying to figure out lighting and maybe a different angle.  I do art work and would love to have it tipped up like my easel but not sure how to go about doing that.  It is on a really nice stand that it came with... maybe I can put a couple bricks under the back wheels....maybe it is just my seat height...not sure...will keep trying things to see what will work best for me.  Where in Eastern Oregon do you live.  We went down there to Bend to ski last year...wow that town has grown....Thanks again!

Yeah Bend has grown a lot. I live in Umatilla right by the Columbia river. I am sure you crossed the bridge when you went to Bend. I run my saws flat but I think there is an advantage to having them tilted I just haven't tried it. Been doing this for about 26 years guess I got set in my ways. You do have to work on your seat height to be comfortable. You would laugh if you saw my seat. I built it out of two by fours and plywood 26 years ago and still using it. I have cut it down a few times to make it the right height. I put a swivel and a boat seat on it with a back. Pretty comfortable. If you extend the back legs on your stand and raise the front ones will that tilt your saw enough? I am sure someone will chime in here with some excellent Ideas on how to do it. It takes time and trial and error to get it like you want.  Good luck Take care

2 minutes ago, scrollingforsanity said:

Yeah Bend has grown a lot. I live in Umatilla right by the Columbia river. I am sure you crossed the bridge when you went to Bend. I run my saws flat but I think there is an advantage to having them tilted I just haven't tried it. Been doing this for about 26 years guess I got set in my ways. You do have to work on your seat height to be comfortable. You would laugh if you saw my seat. I built it out of two by fours and plywood 26 years ago and still using it. I have cut it down a few times to make it the right height. I put a swivel and a boat seat on it with a back. Pretty comfortable. If you extend the back legs on your stand and raise the front ones will that tilt your saw enough? I am sure someone will chime in here with some excellent Ideas on how to do it. It takes time and trial and error to get it like you want.  Good luck Take care

Yes, I know where Umatilla is....looked like a pretty quiet town.  I love your boat seat idea!  I will see if I can find one on Craigslist.   Also, great suggestion on tilting the table...I  will try that.  Thanks again! 

9 hours ago, MarieC said:

Yes, I know where Umatilla is....looked like a pretty quiet town.  I love your boat seat idea!  I will see if I can find one on Craigslist.   Also, great suggestion on tilting the table...I  will try that.  Thanks again! 

You are most welcome. You will get it all figured out soon.

Hi Marie:

When I first started scrolling I found a little used Hawk and I snapped it up.  The vibrations on that unit drove me nuts.  I finally made floor pads that had foam vibration dampers under each leg.  This helped but I was still not happy with the vibration.  I then found someone who had a Taiwan Ex 21 still in the box which I purchased.  I have been extremely happy with it.   I gave the Hawk to my grandkids and have never looked back.  This is all about personal preference and not meant to be an slam against the Hawk.  There are folks who love them and are producing outstanding work on them.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, MarieC said:

Thank you.  I love your dragon!  I have been practicing hearts lately...will hopefully finish a box with a heart in it soon.  I know it isn't much but it is a start.  Here is one of my more recent hearts.  It has been difficult cutthing through 5/8 - 3/4 hard wood but with suggestions from folks on here, I have done better...the heart is made out of "Red Heart" which is crazy hard.  This is now my second attempt at these and this set is much better than my first.  These cutting boards will be going to my Nephew and his fiance for their upcoming wedding.  🙂20230311_151306.thumb.jpg.e39aefcf94f8293e8ef8740da5e077bd.jpg20230311_151125.thumb.jpg.bb572a0c489788ec5180fbed903e89a9.jpg

Very nice cutting boards. I bet they cherish these for a long time. What a great and thoughtful project to give to the newly weds. Your cutting looks perfect.

Dick

heppnerguy