DickMira

7 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

You are doing such fabulous projects. I tried this style and was not very successful with it. Maybe some day after the holidays are over I just might give it another shot. You are so inspiring with your skill. I love seeing your posts

Dick

Thank you very much for your great comment, Dick.  I started this carved fretwork in retirement after my children gave me a scroll saw and my wife gave me carving tools.  I had never done scrolling or carving prior to starting this new hobby.  I tell you this because you just need to keep at it and don't get discouraged. 🤨

On 10/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, Ron Johnson said:

Very beautiful work. Love the wood. 

I agree with your assessment of the Chestnut wood, Ron.  I would recommend it highly to anyone who is able to acquire some.  It is beautiful to cut with a scroll saw and needs no stain when finishing.  I was able to salvage some from shelves in a library of a home that was being torn down. Thanks for the fine comment.   Dick

On 10/29/2023 at 7:03 AM, DickMira said:

Thank you very much for your great comment, Dick.  I started this carved fretwork in retirement after my children gave me a scroll saw and my wife gave me carving tools.  I had never done scrolling or carving prior to starting this new hobby.  I tell you this because you just need to keep at it and don't get discouraged. 🤨

I totally agree with you statement. I am already way behind on so many things I want to learn so I really do not have the time to start another one at this time but I do have my first attempt at what you do and it is a reminder of the effort, so who knows? Maybe some day I will give it another shot.

Dick

heppnerguy

People always get discouraged when they try something new and are not happy with the results.

I will always remember when my oldest son was going to try out for little league; then said he wasn't going to because he wasn't very good.  That day on TV was a program showing his favorite New York Yankees at their first spring training in Florida.  Every player was shown making all kinds of mistakes and bad plays.  I pointed out to him that with practice great improvement will be made.  They turned out to have a great team that year and yes, he did join the little league team.  Keep at it, whatever you choose to do!   The improvement comes with practice 😼

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to clarify a point about my "Fluffy" project.  This is NOT a picture of my personal house kitten but rather she is a result of my artistic imagination in wood. 

In fact, I am a dog lover and have an "allergy to cats"! 

Historically, the four pet cats of my grandchildren all wanted to sit on my lap.  They didn't know about my allergy but knew I really liked animals,