Scrollsawn Ribbon Boxes

JTTHECLOCKMAN

Years ago I had seen many scrollsawn ribbon boxes and believe it was here. Does anyone know where I can get the patterns for these and if you do them could you post some examples. I have alot of lumber to use up and would like to do a few different things. Always liked the looks of them. Thanks. 

Used to be patterns in one of the magazines from some years ago.. I wouldn't know what magazine it was or what month issue as i used to get a couple different ones. I remember because I wanted to make one someday and was just thinking about it the other day.. Probably in the creative woodworks and crafts magazine because I didn't get the scrollsaw magazine but a year or two as it was only a quarterly magazine if i remember right. 

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Used to be patterns in one of the magazines from some years ago.. I wouldn't know what magazine it was or what month issue as i used to get a couple different ones. I remember because I wanted to make one someday and was just thinking about it the other day.. Probably in the creative woodworks and crafts magazine because I didn't get the scrollsaw magazine but a year or two as it was only a quarterly magazine if i remember right. 

I sold all my scrollsaw magazines about 2 months ago. If I find a book I will buy it if I do not have it already. I need to know for sure there are some in there though. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

8 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I sold all my scrollsaw magazines about 2 months ago. If I find a book I will buy it if I do not have it already. I need to know for sure there are some in there though. 

If you have a library close by I've heard you can request the books there and check them out.. I happen to live in the middle of nowhere and no free library around.. My local lumber / tool supplier keeps about every woodworking book in a library of their own so most times if I know what book to look in I can check for the design before buying it.. I won't be going until after the new year though so someone here will probably confirm it before I can but if not.. I'll look.

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

If you have a library close by I've heard you can request the books there and check them out.. I happen to live in the middle of nowhere and no free library around.. My local lumber / tool supplier keeps about every woodworking book in a library of their own so most times if I know what book to look in I can check for the design before buying it.. I won't be going until after the new year though so someone here will probably confirm it before I can but if not.. I'll look.

I have to check my stash of books because I believe I had this urge once before when they first came out and may have bought some of these books. I will look later today. Also have to go through my projects stash to pick a House Warming gift for my sister and her new home. That should be easy. IT is a great thing to have a lucrative couple of hobbies because we always have gifts available and no need to hit the stores. Or we can just make something to suit the owner easily instead of guessing what they may like. 

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have to check my stash of books because I believe I had this urge once before when they first came out and may have bought some of these books. I will look later today. Also have to go through my projects stash to pick a House Warming gift for my sister and her new home. That should be easy. IT is a great thing to have a lucrative couple of hobbies because we always have gifts available and no need to hit the stores. Or we can just make something to suit the owner easily instead of guessing what they may like. 

That is one thing my wife loves about my hobby / business.. While I like that very much too, it'd be nice when she does this to let me know exactly what and in some cases how many of whatever she takes from my inventory.. She's much better about telling me now when one time I sold a clock that she took several months earlier and never told me.. this was before I had heat in the shop.. and also happen to be the coldest night of the winter at -18 outside I went out to re-make a sold item that had to ship out in two days.. starting a project at 1am in the cold and having to work 2-3 hours to get this order done was not what I call a easy gift to get.. 😂 While I wasn't happy about it I never scolded her or anything, though I kinda wanted to, LOL.. She learned just buy knowing I had to go out in the cold temps in the middle of the night to make another one to fill my order.. She's pretty good about informing me.. typically just ask me if I have something in particular and has me go out to get it.. That why I know what was taken. 

I met a couple at my wife's work Christmas party a few years ago and this family had some younger kids maybe the youngest was 6.. anyway instead of giving the kids money to buy the parents / grandparents etc. gifts.. they make the kids take something they have and make something out of it.. it was pretty interesting to see some of the creativity these kids had to make that special gift for someone out of old toys etc.. I thought it was pretty cool.. Being an adult that buys whatever I need / want I like gifts that don't really cost someone money and hours of searching the stores through the sometimes angry mob as I call it.. people rushing around to get the perfect gift.. I much rather have something made where the giver put their creativity to work and actually made something.. I'm not so passionate about it being handmade.. It could be a purchased item that was done on a CNC or whatever but if it's personalized it's still very cool.. this is why I'm so into making ornaments and doing personalized work.. Sometimes the customers creative idea come to be one of my best sellers.. Their idea that I make come to fruition..  

28 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

That is one thing my wife loves about my hobby / business.. While I like that very much too, it'd be nice when she does this to let me know exactly what and in some cases how many of whatever she takes from my inventory.. She's much better about telling me now when one time I sold a clock that she took several months earlier and never told me.. this was before I had heat in the shop.. and also happen to be the coldest night of the winter at -18 outside I went out to re-make a sold item that had to ship out in two days.. starting a project at 1am in the cold and having to work 2-3 hours to get this order done was not what I call a easy gift to get.. 😂 While I wasn't happy about it I never scolded her or anything, though I kinda wanted to, LOL.. She learned just buy knowing I had to go out in the cold temps in the middle of the night to make another one to fill my order.. She's pretty good about informing me.. typically just ask me if I have something in particular and has me go out to get it.. That why I know what was taken. 

I met a couple at my wife's work Christmas party a few years ago and this family had some younger kids maybe the youngest was 6.. anyway instead of giving the kids money to buy the parents / grandparents etc. gifts.. they make the kids take something they have and make something out of it.. it was pretty interesting to see some of the creativity these kids had to make that special gift for someone out of old toys etc.. I thought it was pretty cool.. Being an adult that buys whatever I need / want I like gifts that don't really cost someone money and hours of searching the stores through the sometimes angry mob as I call it.. people rushing around to get the perfect gift.. I much rather have something made where the giver put their creativity to work and actually made something.. I'm not so passionate about it being handmade.. It could be a purchased item that was done on a CNC or whatever but if it's personalized it's still very cool.. this is why I'm so into making ornaments and doing personalized work.. Sometimes the customers creative idea come to be one of my best sellers.. Their idea that I make come to fruition..  

My thought on this is what I like about my hobbies. You will not find them in any retail store. That is anything I make. That is what gives them just that little bit more meaning. This use to be the thought for many but not so any more. 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Steve Good just recently made a pattern of one.. I don't know now if it was today's blog post or yesterdays.. I assume you're signed up to get his daily email and may have seen it but thought I'd post about it just in case you don't. 

I saw it. Way too basic. The Rothman book has everything I need in it as it turns out. Seems those bows are a common design and used by others too. That is where I needed the pattern. Boxes, heck I make those in my sleep. I am hoping to carve out some time to make a variety of different boxes both scrollsawn and maybe turning a few also after I get some more pens done. Right now I am in a pen making groove with so many new ideas in my head. just the nature of the way I work. Thanks.