Motor in rear

rjweb

22 hours ago, Scrappile said:

These threads almost make me feel like someone wants me to justify why I have a Hegner.  Not sure why.  But I do not feel the need.  My hegner will be with me as long as I can scroll. I'm very happy with it.  Enough said.😉

You should never feel that way. All of these discussions should be informative. Getting feedback from long time scrollers using a particular brand, and what features about them they really like is very helpful for folks looking to buy a saw.

As I have said before, I was blessed to have a local club with some incredibly talented long time scrollers, Most used Hegners, the rest of us (in 2004) had an assortment. I had a Delta SS350 at the time, great saw.  The club gave me the opportunity to try different saws. The Hegners more vertical stroke made it easier for me to do the delicate work that I like.  I was starting to do larger projects and wanted to be able to top feed. At that time the Hawk G4 was just released, it was bigger and top fed so that was my choice.  Otherwise it would have been a Hegner. 

For those that say you can do great work with an inexpensive saw Yes you can, I have. But I quickly realized I did not have the patience for tedious blade changes. Like my old Craftsman, Over a minute for a few second cut NOPE! not for me. 

18 minutes ago, Rolf said:

You should never feel that way. All of these discussions should be informative. Getting feedback from long time scrollers using a particular brand, and what features about them they really like is very helpful for folks looking to buy a saw.

As I have said before, I was blessed to have a local club with some incredibly talented long time scrollers, Most used Hegners, the rest of us (in 2004) had an assortment. I had a Delta SS350 at the time, great saw.  The club gave me the opportunity to try different saws. The Hegners more vertical stroke made it easier for me to do the delicate work that I like.  I was starting to do larger projects and wanted to be able to top feed. At that time the Hawk G4 was just released, it was bigger and top fed so that was my choice.  Otherwise it would have been a Hegner. 

For those that say you can do great work with an inexpensive saw Yes you can, I have. But I quickly realized I did not have the patience for tedious blade changes. Like my old Craftsman, Over a minute for a few second cut NOPE! not for me. 

I couldn't have said it better... I see many post about upgrading from an entry level saw to a DeWalt and they all say WOW! what a difference in the scrolling experience.. Take that next upgrade to a Hawk or Hegner and imagine the difference yet again.. plus a quality saw that's likely going to outlast any hobbyist.. and in many cases outlast even those running them in the production type setting.. Hawk and Hegner could be as popular in the scrolling sector if they were sold in box stores around the world like the others are.. Last I knew a 20" Hawk was only about $200 more than a Pegas.. and you're getting a lot more quality build machine.. That's not saying that a Pegas is an inferior saw.. but it does have it's limitations in a production type setting..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one caught this: The thrust of my argument was about leverage. But if you look at spiral blades the argument works the other way around. If you primarily use spiral blades then the sideways leverage is the other way around. 2 to 3 inches on the rear mounted motors vs 16" (or more) on the front motor.

So it really depends on your style of cutting or your preference of blade type.