Large Format Scanning

BadBob

I was going to try scanning the pullouts on my Epson flatbed scanner, but the first two I looked at had patterns that were too large to fit.

I am scanning all of my books that do not have some sentimental or other value. Finding things with my computer is easy and the books use zero shelf space. When the books return from the scanner, I put them in Calibre, OCR the contents, and index and add tags so they are searchable. Everything is backed up locally and offsite. I want to do the same thing with magazines.

I did this with one of my pattern books.. and it was just a small book, not one of those 1" thick ones.. It's almost as tedious as creating the pattern myself, LOL and was very time consuming so I didn't do any of the other several books I have. 

At the time I had a large format printer and scanner, I probably should have kept it just for the scanning portion as I never thought about that.. I still have about a full pack of 11 x 17 printer paper.. I didn't use the large format part of the printer enough to justify the extra cost for another one.. especially in the laser printer section.. they are not cheap. Of course neither was the stupid ink and the issues I had with it.. Never will buy a inkjet printer again, LOL

30 minutes ago, BadBob said:

You can get a book scanned for $1 for up to 300 pages plus shipping costs. I shipped two boxes to the scanner last week. They are slow, but they are cheap and do a good job. There are a lot of options, including OCR. I use the cheapest one.

Book Scan Digitizing Service

Didn't know there was such a service.. Maybe I'll have a few books done.. I rarely use patterns from magazines or the books solely because of the pain in the behind it is to have to scan and then half the time they don't come out very well unless you rip out the pages so it's sets nice and flat on the surface of the scanner.. Then I'm ruining the book, LOL

If I understan to query, you have some hard copies of patterns that are larger than your printer/scanner can scan to produce a digital copy..

If that is the case, Office Depot/Office Max can provide you with this service.   I have had images up to 36"x42" scanned by them and thye provided me with a digital copy via email.  Large sizes are not cheap, but if neededs the expence is worth it vs. doing it inpieces.

2 hours ago, FrankEV said:

If I understan to query, you have some hard copies of patterns that are larger than your printer/scanner can scan to produce a digital copy..

If that is the case, Office Depot/Office Max can provide you with this service.   I have had images up to 36"x42" scanned by them and thye provided me with a digital copy via email.  Large sizes are not cheap, but if neededs the expence is worth it vs. doing it inpieces.

Thanks, I need to call them.

40 minutes ago, crupiea said:

Sounds like a fun idea.

When i want a bigger pattern I just insert the pic into an excel document and make it the size i want.  It will print across multiple pages.  Have to cut and tape them together but not the end of the world.  Not the best solution but it works. 

I'm not trying to make it larger. The pattern is too large for my scanner.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:10 AM, crupiea said:

Sounds like a fun idea.

When i want a bigger pattern I just insert the pic into an excel document and make it the size i want.  It will print across multiple pages.  Have to cut and tape them together but not the end of the world.  Not the best solution but it works. 

I am not all that knowledgeable on Excel. If you could maybe PM me with some step by step instructions, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.