Blade slippage

There are a lot of theories out there but the best Idea, in my opinion is to change out the the thumb screw and the set screws when all this starts to happen, as to start sanding and forcing the set screw harder and harder only starts the clamp itself to spread and then before you know it, you have to replace the entire unit. If one changes the set screw and thumb screw when all this starts, one saves further frustrations and money to do as I suggest above right away. Just my opinion and I works for me

Dick

heppnerguy 

I got my saw, a Hegner, used from a pawn shop; and found that I had a blade slipping problem.  After troubleshooting it, I found that the tip of my clamp screw had a 'spinny' part just like the Excalibur's, but mine did not spin.  I pulled it out with some work (it didn't spin because it was stuck) and cleaned things up real well and gave it a bit of white lithium grease - a super tiny bit as there is very little space in the screw and it will squirt back out and be a mess.  That seems to have solved most of my problems.  

Maybe the set screws don't need replaced as much as just cleared/cleaned out and a touch of lube to keep them spinning free.  

2 hours ago, rash_powder said:

I got my saw, a Hegner, used from a pawn shop; and found that I had a blade slipping problem.  After troubleshooting it, I found that the tip of my clamp screw had a 'spinny' part just like the Excalibur's, but mine did not spin.  I pulled it out with some work (it didn't spin because it was stuck) and cleaned things up real well and gave it a bit of white lithium grease - a super tiny bit as there is very little space in the screw and it will squirt back out and be a mess.  That seems to have solved most of my problems.  

Maybe the set screws don't need replaced as much as just cleared/cleaned out and a touch of lube to keep them spinning free.  

There is a little rubber o-ring on those inserts.. You shouldn't use a petroleum type grease as it will make the o-ring swell up and also deteriorate. Might take a year or two but it will damage it. I use a dielectric grease or similar.. and you are very correct.. these inserts should be removed or at least looked at to make sure they spin freely.