Hegner Dust Blower Upgrade?

My Hegner has the older style dust blower tube on it that is just a hose that connects to a metal pipe fixed into the upper arm. It works great, however I'd like a flex ( loc line ) set up like the new saws have so instead of blowing that dust at me and my lap.. maybe I could send it off to one side where i would also have a box fan and filter like I do with the other saws in my shop.. I haven't used that saw but 4 hours worth in the year I've had it because it sends all the sawdust onto / at me. 

I was looking on their website for maybe a possible upgrade to the newer flex hose but I don't see anything available. It looks to me like the parts list shows the older saw as having a smaller hose than the newer one with the flex line. If no upgrade kit is available I'm sure i can figure out how to connect something up. It looks like the newer saw has a pretty basic metal bracket at the back of the saw.. like maybe it connects to the bolt that holds the upper arm pivot bolt but I haven't seen any "good" photos of that area.. 

Has anyone upgraded their older saw to have a flexible line or do you just enjoy having the dust in your lap so it looks like you been working in a sawdust pile, LOL

Could you show a picture of the bellows and hose on the old Hegner.  I bought an upgrade from Mike's shop when he was selling blades.  It is really a very  simple upgrade with 1/4" Loc Line.  Unfortunately, I do not have my old Hegner but did find an old picture.  There is a wooden block to transition from the hose to Loc Line.

2013_02_05_Scroll_Dust3FM(Small).thumb.JPG.0cf5cafebc5a13beef279560901f0d00.JPG

Edited by Sycamore67

14 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

Could you show a picture of the bellows and hose on the old Hegner.  I bought an upgrade from Mike's shop when he was selling blades.  It is really a very  simple upgrade with 1/4" Loc Line.  Unfortunately, I do not have my old Hegner.

Here is a couple photos of my saw that I had on my phone so if you need better photo I can go take one of specific areas. 

I think if I had a couple good photos of the new saws I could make the bracket for the flexible loc line hose. I’ve been searching for a good shot of the bracket but most photos are of the opposite side of the saw. From what I can tell it looks like a piece of angle that bolts to the upper arm pivot bolt and then there is a pipe nipple to accept the hose from the bellow that screws to the bracket and into the loc line stuff. That would be super easy to make if that is how it’s set up. 

Hegner does have an upgrade kit for dust management but it’s also $80 and comes with a vacuum attachment etc. I’m not really interested in that type of setup at this time. Even though the saw was given to me I’m not wanting to put much money into it just yet. What little I’ve used it I really do like it and could see liking it more than the Hawk if I can get past this dust blowing into my face and lap and the small table is kinda hard to get used too. I like the compact three leg stand and overall size is small and lightweight compared to a Hawk. 

IMG_3538.png

IMG_3539.png

I've thought about how I could run the hose on the other side and attach a bracket to the accessory arm like shown in your photo. I thought that might get in the way of the blade clamp too though.. I suppose one could flip that clamp around so the knob was on the other side maybe, however I am used to all my saws having the clamp on that right side.. I just think it'd be better to have the hose on the opposite side of the clamp.. I may have to do some experimenting. 

6 minutes ago, rash_powder said:

I have loc-line and pvc dust system on mine.  On top the loc-line is flexible to put right next to the blade; on the bottom I hot glued it to a custom plate I made to have thru-table dust collection.  It works very well.  

Got any pictures of your set-up? sounds interesting.. I'm open to different ideas... Originally I wasn't even going to fix the dust blower and my intensions was to build a dust extractor type of system.. I've seen a few different set ups but nothing looked real practical unless I'm missing something many of them look like the piping would be in my way on some larger projects etc. LOL.. I scroll all kinds of things and versatility is a must. Probably end up buying some PVC and fittings and just play around to find what works best for me.. but always welcome photos and ideas from others.  

I was also gifted a Hegner 22" that has that hose set up as well.  Just started using it and the little workpiece hold-down arm I decided was in my way.  I'm guessing you could possibly mount a flexline adapter (like the wooden one Sycamore67 had) to that post.  I may try something like that but will have it blow left to right since I have a magnetic LED lamp on the right side.

See that Loc-line kit 40413 is on Amazon for under $10 and includes two hoses, three nozzles and two different mount fittings (1/8" and 1/4" NPT thread).  Thinking I will get a nice little piece of maple and tap it for the 1/8" fitting and mount that to the accessory bar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R9O3HE/?coliid=I1L6S9X3KRF0PM&colid=3SDWSF4F8ROVV&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

10 hours ago, JonH said:

See that Loc-line kit 40413 is on Amazon for under $10 and includes two hoses, three nozzles and two different mount fittings (1/8" and 1/4" NPT thread).  Thinking I will get a nice little piece of maple and tap it for the 1/8" fitting and mount that to the accessory bar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R9O3HE/?coliid=I1L6S9X3KRF0PM&colid=3SDWSF4F8ROVV&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That is exactly what I bought in 2019 for my Hegner.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:34 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Got any pictures of your set-up? sounds interesting.. I'm open to different ideas... Originally I wasn't even going to fix the dust blower and my intensions was to build a dust extractor type of system.. I've seen a few different set ups but nothing looked real practical unless I'm missing something many of them look like the piping would be in my way on some larger projects etc. LOL.. I scroll all kinds of things and versatility is a must. Probably end up buying some PVC and fittings and just play around to find what works best for me.. but always welcome photos and ideas from others.  

Mine looks like any other dust extractor from the top, pvc and loc-line ran around the saw.  I used 3/4" loc-line, the threads match up to 3/4" pvc.  

The bottom is here - bottom extractor

I slit a piece of 3/4" pvc, heated it with a heat gun, and un-rolled it as best I could.  Re-heat and clamp between to boards to cool flat.  I then notched it to fit the pivot in the back of the saw table, bent it to sort of fit the front, then marked to drill a hole for the blade and loc line to connect.  In the pic the loc-line goes into a 3/4" pvc T that I cut up and heated and shaped.  That has since broken off - the hot glue failed me; so I just pushed the loc-line end into the hole.  Its still working fine as far as I can tell.  

Edited by rash_powder