Planer stand size trade off

I was looking at commercial planer stands for my new 734 but anything else added to my small shop has to be kept to a minimum so I made my own.  at 33-1/2" high and only 22x16  it's a tad top heavy so I need to be careful rolling it around too fast and not hit a bump.  I would have to be going pretty fast for that to happen but that height is perfect for using it and for my work bench. The best part is it cost less than fifty bucks in materials.

20240302_091159.jpg

I do all of my planing outside my small shop in the driveway. To be able to wheel the planer outside and back in, and also have a stand that would raise my DeWalt 735 planer up to a comfortable working height I settled on a Delta Miter Saw / Planer stand. DeWalt now makes a better version of this same design . This stand is the DeWalt 726. Since the mounting hole spacing of the planer did not match the rail spacing on the top of the stand I made an adapter plate from a piece of 3/4" cabinet birch plywood, drilling holes in the plywood to match the hole pattern of the planer and also the rails of the stand. 

I leave my 735 attached to the stand. When it's being stored in my shop, it is folded and standing on it's end in the corner of my shop requiring only a couple of sq ft of floor space. When I need to use it I wheel it out to the driveway like a hand truck, then lay it down on it's handles. Then a lift of the bar behind the handles raises it up to either of two working heights where a latch prevents it from folding. Gas springs in the stand assist in the lifting, removing about 50% of the effort that would be required without them. 

When I'm finished with the planning, I lift the stand slightly, and release the latch, then lower it back down to the driveway. I can then wheel it back into the shop and stand it up on end using the handles, again leaving it standing on it's end in the shop corner.  The DeWalt 735 planer weighs 95 lbs, but it has handles, implying that it's a "portable tool". When I was 40 and younger I might have considered it "portable", but at twice this age and with a heart condition and metal knees now, it would likely end my life to try to lift and carry it now any distance now, yet with this stand I can move and use it without anyone helping me any time that I wish to use it, unless it's raining.

Charley