Really bad experience with White Limba lumber

Just curious if anyone else has worked with White Limba wood. I went to Woodcraft in Birmingham Alabama and they have a large bin of cut-offs that are $2 a pound. It had a lot of quarter sawn White Limba, which I'd never heard of. It looked great for portraits and I bought just over 60 pounds thinking I wouldn't have to buy any wood for a year. 🤪 It's so hard I broke about 6 drill bits and a dozen blades on my first small project, plus I've been really sick with sinus and chest congestion for 5 days since I worked with it though I did wear a mask and run my dust collection. Planning to call today to see if they'll let me exchange the 60ish pounds I have left. 

Never worked with it, but here are a couple comments, cut & pasted from the Wood Database;

Workability: Easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Contains a small amount of silica, but blunting effect on cutters is usually small. Glues and finishes well.

Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, limba has been reported to cause skin and respiratory irritation, as well hives, asthma-like symptoms, and bleeding of the nose and gums. Splinters also tend to become infected and take longer than usual to heal. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

https://www.wood-database.com/limba/

1 minute ago, Bill WIlson said:

Never worked with it, but here are a couple comments, cut & pasted from the Wood Database;

Workability: Easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Contains a small amount of silica, but blunting effect on cutters is usually small. Glues and finishes well.

Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, limba has been reported to cause skin and respiratory irritation, as well hives, asthma-like symptoms, and bleeding of the nose and gums. Splinters also tend to become infected and take longer than usual to heal. See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information.

You beat me to it.  I was just going to do the same thing.

@Bill WIlson @ChelCass @TAIrving @barb.j.enders Thanks for the responses. And it may well be that it isn't Limba because I had also seen that it isn't supposed to be that toxic or hard to work with. I lost count of how many drill bits I broke off. I hate when that happens. I nearly always end up hitting the bit and ruining a blade when I try to cut around it. It could be a coincidence that I got sick on that day. I'm still going to call today and see if they'll let me exchange it. 

I have used both black and white and sometimes I think they mix the names. But never had a problem. I treat all woods as toxic and wear some sort of mask when cutting any woods. I also wear some sort of glasses to at least keep shards from getting in the eyes. Have to say of all the woods I have used over the years I never had an allergic reaction to using. It actually is a soft wood. Not sure why you are having problems drilling. Could you post a photo of the wood in question. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

30 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have used both black and white and sometimes I think they mix the names. But never had a problem. I treat all woods as toxic and wear some sort of mask when cutting any woods. I also wear some sort of glasses to at least keep shards from getting in the eyes. Have to say of all the woods I have used over the years I never had an allergic reaction to using. It actually is a soft wood. Not sure why you are having problems drilling. Could you post a photo of the wood in question. 

Whatever it is, it is very heavy and hard as  rock. I just spoke with Woodcraft and thankfully I can exchange it. 

image1.jpeg

image0 (6).jpeg