Bowl Question

In an effort to expand my scrolling activities I picked up Carole Rothman's book "Scroll Saw Wooden Bowls".

The one my wife picked out calls for ⅝ stock. The rings are cut at 23 degrees. Now I'm wondering if I go with ¾ stock would the 23 degree angle cut still apply? If not what would I change to.

The reason for ¾ as opposed to ⅝ is a drum sander is still on my wish list and I don't seem to be able to find ⅝ stock. Everything is either ½ or ¾.

Chris

The angle will change.

You can calculate the angle here https://www.scrollmania.com/

This is from Carole at SSW

Now, down to business. If you go to Dave's program (AngleCalc), enter the thickness of your wood as a decimal. Then, enter the ring width, also as a decimal. Go to where it says "angle" and click on "solve". The correct angle should appear. Round the number up, if necessary, and add one degree. That should work. However, to play it safe, send me a PM with your specs and I'll compute it for you. That way you can check your own work, and not risk ruining your wood.

With the angle calculator to make the bowl with a piece of wood 3/4” thick and ring at 3/8” wide the angle will be 26.6 degrees. I will suggest that if you use hard wood, go easy DO NOT push the blade too hard because that will change the angle  and the sanding will take quite a bit of work. 
P.S. Carole does not call it sanding but shaping it does not sound as bad. LOL

IMG_0369.jpeg